temporarily removing lower radiator hose

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DrBeavis

temporarily removing lower radiator hose

Postby DrBeavis » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:55 pm

2005 SE 4x4
i am in the process of replacing the ac compressor. i removed front driver-side wheel and noticed how a lower radiator hose sits right between the compressor and the opening through which i am planning to move it out. there is barely any space to maneuver, so i figured that the hose must be temporarily removed in order for the compressor to come out. i have few questions below, and must apologize ahead of time if my questions may be of an anal-retentive nature.
1) should i remove the hose entirely, or just from one of the ends? if latter is the case, then which end? one of the ends connects to the radiator itself, and i want to make sure it is not damaged in the process.
2) should i expect some of the coolant to be inside the hose? should i get a bucket ready so there is no coolant all over my driveway?
3) once placing the hose back, should i use any sort of a sealant?

thank you for your time!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:11 am

Coolant is going to come out of the hose. I would drain the radiator using the radiator petcock to get a good amount of the coolant out, but some will still pour out when you remove the hose. At that point, if you have good access to both ends of the hose, you could remove it altogether to get it out of the way, if need be. You don't need sealant when reinstalling the hoses; just put them on and clamps them.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:20 am

You may want to look that radiator over close my 2006 Toyota 4Runner sprung a leek after 4 years and 170,000 miles and if your Pathy never had the radiator bypass then Frankly I would go ahead and just get a new radiator. Just my opinion...

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:20 am

smj999smj wrote:Coolant is going to come out of the hose. I would drain the radiator using the radiator petcock to get a good amount of the coolant out, but some will still pour out when you remove the hose. At that point, if you have good access to both ends of the hose, you could remove it altogether to get it out of the way, if need be. You don't need sealant when reinstalling the hoses; just put them on and clamps them.
thanks for the tip regarding the draining of the radiator prior to hose removal. i was thinking of removing just the right end of the hose, which connects to the engine block, and then keeping it upright. that end is positioned higher than the left end, so perhaps this would minimize the mess. what i would like to know is how much of the coolant should i expect to leak out of the engine block.

also, would all this tap-dancing with the coolant system have any immediate side effects, like introduction of air into the system? would i have to then purge it once the hose is reattached?
Kestral wrote:You may want to look that radiator over close my 2006 Toyota 4Runner sprung a leek after 4 years and 170,000 miles and if your Pathy never had the radiator bypass then Frankly I would go ahead and just get a new radiator. Just my opinion...
agree. had new radiator installed half a year ago and bypass four years ago.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:18 pm

You'll probably dump at least a gallon of coolant, give or take a little. And, yes, you'll probably have to purge the system when done.

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:22 pm

that's what i suspected. amazing how to replace a part of one system, a completely separate system must now take center stage. thanks for your feedback!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:11 am

I had the compressor stop working on my 2006. After doing some testing, found that the clutch coil is bad. Thought about replacing the whole compressor, but decided to get a clutch assembly. I think I can replace it on the vehicle without removing the compressor, but will see when I get time to do it. I have to replace the front crank seal and serpentine tensioner and belt, anyway, along with the electric fan. Mind as well do it all in one shot!

DrBeavis

Postby DrBeavis » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:55 pm

mine has neon splatter all over it that i can see under UV light, and the local mechanic said the entire thing must go.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Sounds like the front seal failed; replacing the compressor assembly makes sense, in that case.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”