just won't heat up

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

flexman09

just won't heat up

Postby flexman09 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 am

I have a 2005 Pathfinder with an automatic temp control that is blowing cold air even when set at 80.
Took it to the dealer because my coolant level was low and had them flush the system. They then tell me they did a '2 million' point inspection and told me I needed new brakes and my rear roaters were pitted..
Needless to say, I only had them do the flush. Well, my climate control and all worked just fine, but for a few days only... now I'm back to where I started... blowing cold air until I hit the gas and then I get hot air. Cold air in Idle and Hot air when I'm moving.
Why did the Dealer not find anything wrong when they did their '2 Million' point inspection and should they still be responsible for finding a solution?
Any suggestions on what the heating issue might be?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:34 am

Well they did not find this, I do not know. But your thermostate is stuck open. Its not letting the engine heat up all the way. when your on the gas your able to make more heat but when sitting at idle your not making heat.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Ehh, a thermostat stuck open, unless you're in an extremely cold location, would still allow a vehicle to warm up enough to get some level of warm air. Plus it worked for a few days then the issue returned after the flush.

You didn't say if your temp gauge is showing normal when these conditions exist but it sounds more like an air bubble in the cooling system. You said your coolant level was low so you got it flushed. You should be more interested in finding the source of the leak. Fixing that will prevent coolant from escaping and air finding its way back into the system (which is probably why your symptoms returned). If you want to test this out for free make sure your fluid is topped off, drive the pathy up on a set of ramps or somehow elevate the front end, open the radiator cap and let it run. You may need to rev it a bit to get the fluid moving to flush that bubble out. Replace the cap, get it back down to ground level and check it out.

MikeNY

Postby MikeNY » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:43 pm

I'm having the exact same problem with my 05. I just had a Remote Start installed so when I remote start the Pathfinder the heat comes out very low and almost cool but as soon as I step on the gas pedal it comes out hot.

I haven't brought it into the dealer yet but have been doing some searching and found this post.

Let me know if you find a solution...

Mike

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 am

Flex or Mike, find out anything more on this? Having the same problem.

Also, do you get a 2 second hissing sound as soon as you shut your trucks off?

Return to “General Automotive”