Nismo Cold Air Intake

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:17 pm

you know...

i felt the filter when i unpacked it from the box and i didn't feel any oil on it at all!

I have an old K&N recharge kit... so i guess i'll use that!

so after installing the CAI the plastic engine cover doesnt fit? or just unable to mount it?

Npath

Postby Npath » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:31 pm

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:you know...

i felt the filter when i unpacked it from the box and i didn't feel any oil on it at all!

so after installing the CAI the plastic engine cover doesnt fit? or just unable to mount it?
Is the K&N filter orangy coloured or white? If it's white, then needs to be oiled. If you add too much oil, you'll screw your MAF sensor, making the engine run like sh*t.

The MAF will get covered with oil and wouldn't be able to read or analyze the amount of oxygen going into the engine.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:03 am

Npath wrote:
GimmieSumMo72 wrote:you know...

Is the K&N filter orangy coloured or white? If it's white, then needs to be oiled. If you add too much oil, you'll screw your MAF sensor, making the engine run like sh*t.

The MAF will get covered with oil and wouldn't be able to read or analyze the amount of oxygen going into the engine.
the NISMO filter is a reddish color, but i didnt feel any oil on it.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:37 am

The filter is oiled!... You can use a K&N re-oil (recharge) kit or any others (aFe)... When you have cleaned and washed the filter it will turn whiteish... The oil color is there so you can tell where you have oiled... My aFe intake filter uses blue colored oil??... The Nismo filters are made by AEM (I think)... http://www.aempower.com/

Just don't use to much oil...

I keep and extra filter and just swap them when dirty... After preparing the filter I store it in a sealed (zip-loc) bag... Hope this helps......... Triffid
Last edited by Triffid on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:30 am

ok... lemme get this straight...

red = oiled
white = not oiled?

sorry to have it dumbed down, i've used high flow filters before but never needed to clean (recharge) them.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:53 am

GimmieSumMo72 wrote:ok... lemme get this straight...

red = oiled
white = not oiled?

sorry to have it dumbed down, i've used high flow filters before but never needed to clean (recharge) them.
pretty much... except it is not exactly "red". if i recall, it is an orangish-reddish color. most, if not all, rechargeable filters are going to be made from white material, and will take on the color of the oil used to charge them.

as triffid said, get a second filter and keep it for filter changes. if you have only one filter, when you get around to cleaning it, you have to wait for it to dry before you can oil it again. having the second one ready means you can pull the old one, drop in the clean one, and clean the dirty one at your convenience.

also, be careful that you do not over-oil your filters. follow the directions in the recharge kit. as NPath said, over-oiling will result in oil blow-by depositing on your MAF sensor, and it will eventually fail.

~mike

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks!

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm

okey...

finished installing the CAI and i think i was expecting a bit more from it than I thought. But it does have a cool "growl" at about 4500 RPM's. I think I got the same response from a K&N drop in, minus the the sound.

The sound reminds me of my old stock supercharged Frontier.

Took me about an 2 hours to install just because i didn't have a small 10mm wrench to loosen the bolt on the stock air box behind the headlamp. Finally I just used a little muscle as a replacement for the mini 10mm.

i did notice that the engine ran considerably cooler!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”