For those with airbags in rear springs...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Tillyboat

For those with airbags in rear springs...

Postby Tillyboat » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm just looking for any opinions on the airbags. I put them in my pathfinder this past spring and they're just awesome. They've helped when I was pulling my travel trailer, kept the rear from bouncing.

Now that it's winter up here, there is ice and snow. I've noticed that the vehicle feels different this winter than it has the past two. It feels like there's less grip/traction. I've also noticed that although there is no bounce when going over dips/etc., that there is a thud when I run over a decent sized crack in the road.

So here are a few questions...Does anyone think that having the rear being more solid, due to the airbags, that it effects the winter driving? Has anyone noticed any difference, of those that have the airbags, and drive in winter? One final question. Will the airbags eventually wrecks the rear springs?

Thanks. Have a good day.

markspath

Postby markspath » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:59 pm

i haven't driven with mine in through a winter yet. I suppose that dropping the air pressure to minimum would reduce stiffness.

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:47 pm

Actually, as the air gets colder, it gets denser, so the pressure in the bags will go down. I'd expect the ride to get softer, not harder.

Have you looked under there to make sure everything else is OK?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:52 am

I ran bags on my XE for 2 winters, YMMV but I liked to keep mine at about 18-20psi. I did notice on wet corners my rear would seem to break free a little easier. To be fair, the rear end wasn't wallowing as it typically would without the bags so the angle of lean that you use as a seat of the pants accelerometer is taken out of the equation giving you that much less feedback.
It's my opinion that the bags have no adverse effect on the rear suspension but I do feel the stiffer rear end puts a little more strain on the front end. In the end I think it may have contributed to making the suspension feel tired prematurely which is why I went with the OME at around 45k.
15k of hard driving later the OME appears to be a better solution but jacks the rear end up a little too much for my liking. I was thinking of taking some measurements and ordering some bags for the med OME or just get a set of the OME rear HD springs. A little too much sway (nothing like OEM tho, that was unacceptable) for my style of driving, I likes the twisties.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”