Heated steering wheel install

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

brickbox

Heated steering wheel install

Postby brickbox » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:09 am

Has anyone here upgraded their lower trim vehicles to the LE steering wheel and added the associated circuitry to get functional heated steering wheel?

My '11 Silver unfortunately does not have it and I would like to add it.
I know some will say just upgrade to a LE, but LE's over here are at least $1,500 more than the cost of Silver I purchased. So I'm not really looking at that option.

My Silver somehow came with a power moonroof. So outside of the Auto functionality (which I'm guessing isn't as simple as swapping out the t-case), the feature I really miss is the heated steering wheel.

I saw that someone did this on their 2009 Xterra and I was wondering if it is exact same procedure on our R51s or is it even easier i.e. just plug and play as long as I get the right steering wheel?

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:14 pm

No one?

Also, can anyone confirm that the door cards are the same between the Silver and LE, with little insert behind the grab handle being the only difference? I.e the faux wood insert that the LEs have on the door is part of the insert and is not a piece that can be added separately?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:20 am

I have an '06 LE, so I'm not sure if the later R51 is the same, but on mine, the "faux wood" on the door panel is only a switch cover and not part of the door panel. Mine doesn't have the heated steering wheel and I don't recall it being an option on my year. I never really looked into the swap; if it gets that cold, I just wear gloves! :wink:

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Interesting, I thought they were all part of the door panel. Would you happen to have a part number or a website where I can look up part numbers for those faux wood trims?

I saw the chaps on frontier and x-terra forums doing the mod (well at least 3 of them). They have a semi decent write up. Someday I might attempt it and let you guys know how it goes.

While I’ve never had a vehicle with heated steering wheel, it’s a nice luxury to have in my mind. Although, this year’s winter has been relatively mild

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:25 am

So I managed to get my hands on a worn heated steering wheel and heated switch. What I can't find is information on the part number for the clockspring.

My understanding is that the clockspring has to be switched out as well if I wanted a heated steering wheel? If so, I am unable to confirm whether the part number 25560-9CH5A on all LEs (2008+) are compatible for heated steering.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:54 pm

brickbox wrote:Interesting, I thought they were all part of the door panel. Would you happen to have a part number or a website where I can look up part numbers for those faux wood trims?

I saw the chaps on frontier and x-terra forums doing the mod (well at least 3 of them). They have a semi decent write up. Someday I might attempt it and let you guys know how it goes.

While I’ve never had a vehicle with heated steering wheel, it’s a nice luxury to have in my mind. Although, this year’s winter has been relatively mild
Uses Nissan part diagrams and has good prices:

www.NissanPartsDeal.com

brickbox

Postby brickbox » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks for the link! Seems like the later years (2008+) have separate door trim part numbers for S, SV/SE/Silver and the LE.

I tried to pull one at the local yard and sure enough, the wood trim is held by liquid nails/really adhesive glue.

I also went back to get the clockspring and disappointingly it had been broken by someone during the week between my last visit and this one.....smh

Return to “R51 Electrical”