Wheel Bearing Hub

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

OregonPath

Wheel Bearing Hub

Postby OregonPath » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 pm

I visited my local Les Schwab for another tire matter and they mentioned that the front left hub bearing has a lot of play in it. They also gave me a quote of $608 plus $200 labor to change both sides and said it should be taken care of soon.

I next stopped at the stealership and they want closer to $1100. I already need new tires and am not looking forward to that bill.

So, I searched this board for info and found a couple of different brands; Timkin, Moog and SKF. Right now, I am leaning toward the Timkin with the lowest price at $139 ea. and free shipping. I won't ask for opinions on which, I read smj999smj's post on the subject.

So I am thinking of doing this on myself. Save many dollars I hope. It is straight forward enough. I still have the tools from the Maxima.

Now the question, anything else while I am at it?

Thank you all for reading my Friday rant.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:44 am

Brakes, if u need them. They have to come off for the repair. There's not much overlap with anything else. Timken is the OE part. I have a how-to with pics planned soon since I just replaced all 4 of my hubs during my V6 to V8 front brake upgrade. If you can't get the ABS connector apart, cut the outer harness connector with dykes (carefully) until you can get the connectors apart. They tend to get jammed-up with dirt. The female side of the connector comes with the new wheel hub's speed sensor. Also, make sure you feed the ABS harness through the hole in the backing plate BEFORE you install and bolt-down the hub!

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:44 am

The hardest part of my wheel bearing replacement was that stupid ABS sensor. I ended up cutting it (not as pretty) like SMJ.

OregonPath

Postby OregonPath » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:54 pm

Last night I came across Amazon's offering of the Timkin hub. In the user comments, there is a decent write up on changing them.

All I need are my stands and jack. And no snow...

DallasPirate

Re: Wheel Bearing Hub

Postby DallasPirate » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Bought my hub off Amazon. Forgot which brand. Took about 8 hrs with no help and minimal tools/space. Broke a hammer trying to free the hub from spindle. 3 years later it's still rolling... You can do it!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Wheel Bearing Hub

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 pm

Rockauto carries Timken and a lot of other brands. I did purchase a Beck~Arnley rear hub assembly for my 2008 and it only lasted a couple of years. I was disappointed because they are usually pretty good with their parts, but not in this case. There was no part numbers or brand names on the hub, so who knows who made it? Normally, I'll go with Timken, which makes the original equipment hubs on our Pathys. In January, I took a gamble on a pair of TRQ rear hubs from AM Auto Parts. They are likely made in China, but they were inexpensive and have a 10-year warranty. I have 7-months on them and have my fingers crossed that they'll last a while. I just didn't have the money for a pair of Timkens at the time.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”