New R51 2008 V8 owner wanting some upgrades

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

vegpower

New R51 2008 V8 owner wanting some upgrades

Postby vegpower » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:36 pm

Hey guys, I just got my truck a week ago! I can't stop driving it! I really love the torque and handling. It's impressive that a body on frame can handle so well!

I have a few questions I'd like to ask:

1.- Previous owner told me manifold exhaust is cracked. Question is: should I go for short JBA headers or long? Do I need mods to install them or they just plug and play in the path v8? (what benefits of one over the other?)

2.- What air filter do u recommend, just a K&N? I watched vids that CAIs don't really work (I also like off road so I want a good safe filter)

3.- I will go for an Uprev tuning after installing a few stuff. I think there are no uprev tuners in Canada where I am located so recommend me from the US please.

4.- Where can I get the Armada 3.36 gearing (just ebay?) I read they increase the RPM by 200 or 300. would that decreased MPG significantly?

5.- what exhaust or any other mods do you recommend? I don't want a loud exhaust though, that would become annoying after driving on the highway for hours..

Any advice will be well received...(if you can list me the top mods or basic mods for this truck..I would be indebted!)

Cheers!

P.S. I don't want to kill the MPG, I rather just uncork the engine to release more power!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 pm

The factory air intake system is actually a pretty good CAI system in its own right, so there's really no need to spend money on an aftermarket system. Drop -in cloth filters like K&N offer better flow (not that you'll need it) but also pass a lot more dirt through it compared to paper filters. Most of the performance will be mental than actual, if you know what I mean.

Short tube vs long tube depends on a number of things, but at least (if you purchase a quality brand) they don't crack like the factory manifolds. As far as the long tube, they are illegal unless you only drive off-road. Of course, there are people driving them on the street. Depending on how strict your state vehicle inspection is, the could fail it for emissions "tampering." The long tube converters offer better flow, but eliminate the upstream catalytic converter. This causes two problems. You will need to install a CEL eliminator (O2 spacer) on the rear oxygen sensors to trick the ECM and keep it from triggering P0420/430 catalyst efficiency codes and illuminating the check engine light. The long tubes also cause the engine to run lean unless you get a custom ECM tune; UpRev is your best option.

With short tubes, you may be able to find a set that passes your states emissions if they are strict about that sort of stuff. They correct the manifold crack issue and offer better flow and direct-fit in place of your manifolds.

Most of the aftermarket, post converter options will make your Pathfinder loud or "drone", but at least the V8 sounds a lot better than the V6. I'm not sure if Gibson has an option for the V8, but they are one of the better sounding exhausts on the Nissan trucks.

Best mod for your truck, if it still has the factory radiator, is to replace the radiator with an aftermarket unit to prevent the possiblity of the trans cooler failing and ruining your transmission.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:12 am

Welcome to ThePath!

:D

And follow SMJs sage advice!

vegpower

Postby vegpower » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Thanks a lot guys!

I just bought the JBA shorty header.

It has 289 kms so maybe it just never failed?...but if you say I still should replace it I can do that. Any particular brand o model you would recommend?
(it still has OEM radiator)

My only question now is about the Armada 3.36 gearing. if it would affect the MPG too bad as it increases RPM. And where should I get that part from?

thanks again!

palmerwmd

:wink:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:33 am

Spectra Premium is a very popular source for aftermarket replacement radiators for the R51 and they are based in Canada, so you should be able to find one there without too much trouble. You'll need Spectra Premium # CU2807.

UpRev has only one location and that's in Austin, Texas, USA. They create the ECM software program for your specific vehicle based on what performance mods you have made and it'll have up to five different tunes. I'm not sure of their policies regarding Canadian vehicles, but I wouldn't think it would matter since they are built in the US. If you have a place that does dyno testing near you, it's helpful to get the best tune, but not mandatory. Here's a link to their site for information:

https://www.uprev.com/secure/

vegpower

Postby vegpower » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:56 pm

Gotcha! thanks man. I will worry about the gearing in a few months.

Cheers!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”