time to disengage 4WD

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:23 am

trance34 wrote:making a turn will disengage it from 4hi to 2
actually, all you have to do is take your foot off the gas pedal and coast for a couple of seconds. no need to turn, just take the load off the transfer case.

~mike

markspath

Postby markspath » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:05 pm

MonkeyMike wrote:
actually, all you have to do is take your foot off the gas pedal and coast for a couple of seconds. no need to turn, just take the load off the transfer case.
Doesn't work for me. Had 6" of snow about 2 weeks ago and had to drive 30mi before roads were all plowed. Got on an Interstate that was clear and tried to switch from 4hi to 2 (driving about 40MPH) and the indicator was blinking for 15 minutes without switching. Didn't switch until I made a left turn off the end of the exit ramp -- and less than a mile later I had to re-engage for more snow.

I'll have my dealer check it out next time I go for a factory service.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:35 am

MARKSPATH wrote:
MonkeyMike wrote:
Doesn't work for me. Had 6" of snow about 2 weeks ago and had to drive 30mi before roads were all plowed. Got on an Interstate that was clear and tried to switch from 4hi to 2 (driving about 40MPH) and the indicator was blinking for 15 minutes without switching. Didn't switch until I made a left turn off the end of the exit ramp -- and less than a mile later I had to re-engage for more snow.

I'll have my dealer check it out next time I go for a factory service.
I think it has to do with the front diff being locked. Once the 4wd is disengaged, the diff needs the front wheels to spin at different speeds to 'unlock'. Thats why turning works, as the outside wheel turns faster than the inside. What I also find works sometimes is to touch the brakes until the ABS kicks in, usually it kicks in on one side more than the other.

I don't think it indicates anything is wrong with the vehicle.
t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”