Transmission and locks issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

cireth

Transmission and locks issue

Postby cireth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm

Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE RWD

Problems:

1. Door locks will occasionally unlock spontaneously. This is more of a security issue than a practical matter.

2. Low power

3. Engine loud

4. Check engine light

4. Difficulty starting - Engine will turn over fine, but won't go until after 5 or 6 attempts to start the engine. The engine seems to get closer and closer to starting with each start attempt until it finally just keeps rolling.

5. Trouble with high RPMs. The RPMs will go quickly switch between 3000 and 5000 or so, back and forth, and the car will shake and make noises.

6. Belt squeal at 4,000 RPMs. Serpentine belt was changed, but I think it's the other belt because it still squeals.

I did this:

Changed fuel and air filters and changed the oil. Didn't really do much else.

Anyone have any ideas?

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:57 pm

Of course knowing what the code of the check engine would help.... But if I had to guess, I would say MAF sensor... If it has not been changed in the past, then it is most probably it.. They are prone to fail from the factory..

There is a hack for using a maxima maf that costs 1 third of the price of the pathfinder one... try looking for it... but really get the codes first... It will save you some bucks at the end..

S.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:21 pm

IF you go to just about any auto parts store, they can retrieve the stored engine code, which will help. I wouldn't go throwing in a MAS just based on the limited information we have at hand. What do you mean by the engine is "loud?" Is there an exhaust leak?...Or, is it making a specific kind of noise? I'm hoping one of your power valve screws didn't fall out and get sucked into a cylinder. One or more bad ignition coils can cause the same symptoms.
As far as belts, it's best to replace belts as a set. Also, use parts of a good quality. Some aftermarket belts don't fit as well as original equipment or are made of inferior materials. Genuine Nissan belts or Bando (which is an OEM supplier to Nissan) are your best bets. Avoid Dayco if you can. Pulley bearings can squeak, as well. Use a spray bottle to spray water on the belts while running. If the noise goes away, it is likely a bad belt or a belt that needs adjusting. If the noise remains unchanged, look for a bad bearing.

cireth

Postby cireth » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Hello,

I did some fiddling with the car today. I have these two check engine codes:

P0102 - MAF SEN/CIRCUIT
P1217 - ENG OVER TEMP

I disconnected the MAF to see if that would improve things. It did not. The problem got slightly worse. The car actually stalled when I first started it. When I accelerate and give it decent throttle (i.e. over 3,000 RPM) the transmission car will start to jerk repeatedly and the RPM will fluctuate between 3,000ish and 1,600ish.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”