Help, 2011, 4 wheel drive issues

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

marc515

Help, 2011, 4 wheel drive issues

Postby marc515 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:48 am

We have a 2011 Pathfinder, and this winter we experienced issues switching in/out of 4 wheel drive.

When it was cold (below about 15*F), we could switch into 4 high, but had a heck of a time getting it to switch back into 2 wheel drive- the selector knob would not turn. As soon as it warmed up a little, there is no problem switching.

One other issue; one night it was about 10*F and we had parked the Pathfinder in 2 WD, and when we got back in and took off, it was stuck in 4 LO, and the selector knob showed 2WD, again we had a heck of a time getting it back into 2WD. This is the first time this has happened.

We called the dealership as it's still under the 3year/36,000 mile warranty, but they said the unusually cold weather we've been having was causing many cars to act strange; but they are going to check it out this week.

That sounded like a BS answer to me; I'll admit we've had a colder than normal winter, but I know there are folks that like in colder climates than we do, and besides that, I've never had a 4 wheel drive vehicle act so strangely; what good is 4WD if it's going to have issues in the cold weather.

So, just wondering if any of you guys have experienced these types of issues, and what was the fix if any.

Thank you

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:17 pm

I will say that cold weather surely can make vehicles do some weird things. I don't know that it explains what is going on with this. If you look around the forums many of us have had some issues shifting out of 4wd, but it's usually only a problem at speed. I've never seen one with the issues you describe and mine was shifting as normal this week and we had a few days of -20°F.

marc515

Postby marc515 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Was at the dealership today, and of course they couldn't duplicate the problem, and there were no diagnostic codes!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:50 pm

weird on the switch sticking. Its just a switch, so it freely moves from 2wd to 4wd. Maybe you spilled something on it?

marc515

Postby marc515 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 pm

disallow wrote:weird on the switch sticking. Its just a switch, so it freely moves from 2wd to 4wd. Maybe you spilled something on it?
The switch did not stick; it simply would not move back into 2WD. It would go to 4WD Lo, but not 2WD.

It is working fine now, but it's not that cold.

Nothing was spilled in it. Apparently it was just acting up in the cold weather.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 am

That is a bit odd. If it can't be replicated at the dealer, nothing will ever happen (been down that road myself). If it were me, I'd price out a new switch and have it swapped out on my own dime. If it's happened before, it will happen again. We've had those temps & colder this winter, but I have never had a problem shifting into, or out of, 4xx. And I park outside.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:31 pm

Could be that the electric motor on the transfer case was frozen? Obviously, hard to say without duplicating the problem and diagnosing. One thing I do in the winter time is put my vehicle in 4WD mode when I park it and am anticipating snow or ice in the morning. I'll also preset the heater controls to defrost mode and turn the heat seater "on." Extremely cold weather can do funny things, especially to electric and electronic devices. I'll also spray some silicone lube on the door seals to help prevent the door from freezing shut and give the door lock a shot of WD40. If I'm parked in a safe area, like my house, I'll also not lock the doors if I'm anticipating sub-freezing temps.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 pm

I've had issuers going from 4x to 2wd before, it take a mile or so for the light in the cluster to go out.

Jegan

Postby Jegan » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:48 am

Hi folks, I live in Quebec Canada and the temps during the winter get pretty cold. I have noticed that the light cluster after a cold night will indicate that the 4Wd is activated despite the switch bing set to Auto.

This will consistently happen after cold nights. After a couple of minutes of driving, the middle light on the cluster goes out. The actual driving of the vehicle is normal. Antislip works as usual and nothing different is noticeable. During the winter I drive the pathy in AUTO full time. I have never tried it from a cold start in 2wd.

Here is my theory: The computer senses a low transfer case fluid temperature and in order to protect the gearing the 4wd is activated to help move and reheat the oil. Once the transfer case has warmed up enough the light goes out. I don't think this is a serious problem but a protection mechanism that maybe we don't fully understand.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”