Fixing the rear bumper cap

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Fixing the rear bumper cap

Postby Gray » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:29 pm

My wife backed into a car a while back so I got the urge to fix the rear bumper cap this week, sorry I didn't take any photos though. No metal was bent and it was easy to take off the bumper cap...10 bolts and screws and the clips holding the cap in place were quick to release with a thin flat screw driver. I hit the corner dent with a heat gun and massaged the dent back to true and am not going to worry about some paint defects. It took about 10 minutes to take the cap off and after cleaning everything and letting it dry overnight about another 10 minutes of installation.

Neat thing though is that if I want a new bumper cap the local dealership quoted $380 and figuring a rattle can or two of matching color paint and another of clear coat the whole job to get everything back to new will be something under $450. Fairly good for a few minutes work considering the local autobody shop quoted $1500. :)

One thing that I noticed was that the spare tire rear brace that's welded to the steel tow bumper doesn't have drain holes and stays full of water. I filled mine with clear acrylic sealant after the area dried but if left as is these will likely turn into a rust point.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:14 am

thats awesome!

my wife did the same thing!

I was wondering how many clips are needed to mount the bumper cap back on?

do you know the part #?

When my wife backed into the pole, she cracked the tail light assembly, tore the bumper cap and the mounting clips are gone all on the passenger side.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:26 am

the OP is not a member anymore... hopefully someone else will chime in with some info.

i haven't had the opportunity to back into any poles, so i really have no clue what the back side of the bumper looks like :lol:

~mike

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 am

thanks mike!

anyone else?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”