Bump While Driving

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gopherdog387

Bump While Driving

Postby Gopherdog387 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 am

Sometimes when I'm driving along I feel a bump. Its not in the road but it feels like its transmission related. I almost want to say that when I take my foot off the gas it happens. It also seems to happen more often when I'm in 4WD. Is this an early sign of transmission issues? The transmission and radiator were replaced back in May of 2013. I just want to make sure I can catch anything early if I can. THANKS!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm

That bump is more annoying than harmful. It's been discussed on here a few times and the consensus is that it's normal. In fact, I've taken my Pathfinder to three different dealers and they all considered it normal.

It feels like there's a delay in engagement/disengagement from the pedal to the drivetrain, right? Like you push the gas lightly and there's a bump. You release the gas and there's another bump.

Gopherdog387

Postby Gopherdog387 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:40 pm

Not when I push the gas, at least I haven't noticed it do it then, but about half a dozen times (I've only owned it two weeks) I have noticed it when removing my foot from the gas. I just urked me because I have heard so many horror stories about the transmission/radiator and the Pathfinder I bought had both replaced so I thought I would be in the clear. When I felt the bumping though I thought something was lurking.

JP1548

Postby JP1548 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Well I'm beyond no means a mechanic, but I was having a similar issue last January. Not to bore you with the details, but the end result was I had the alternator, and fuel pump replaced. What my guy said was that over time fluid's "gunk" those parts up. Basically, it was jumpy from Baltimore all the way to myrtle beach. Once both were replaced, perfect!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”