Annoying whine from driveline?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Janie79

Annoying whine from driveline?

Postby Janie79 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi guys, new member asking, please help :)

I bought a while ago -07 Pathfinder 2.5 dci 4x4.

While driving on road, speed around 50-60mph there is annoying whine, I think it is coming from rear, and middle. Could there be something wrong with differential? I changed oil and it was visually ok, no metal shavings etc and I think it was first oil change done to car. It has 110000 miles on the odo.

Noise can be heard only while pressing gas pedal lightly, and it goes away immediately when pushing more gas or coasting (foot of the pedal).

Is there any bearings on rear driveshaft? Is there any bearings that could be changed without replacing whole rear differential? I think wheel bearing couldn't cause this on off effect controllable with gas pedal?

Please help, any ideas greatly appreciated :)

J

Janie79

Postby Janie79 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:15 am

Today while towing trailer with medium load (4 7ft pine logs) uphill there was sudden shudder from driveline which went away as kickdown kicked in.

Janie79

Postby Janie79 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:54 am

Went to local shop which specializes in driveline and automatic tranny stuff and they said immediately that tooth contact is not right in rear diff. They took it apart and shimmed the bearing to put contact right.

They said Nissan has always produced their rear diffs "stiff" and they will need adjusting on high miles. Do not have a clue what stiffness means in this concept.

Anyway, with front diff oil change final bill was 600 dollars and sounds are gone.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”