Let's talk fluids

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Jerm

Let's talk fluids

Postby Jerm » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:00 pm

Ok so I know in my GTO to only use the GM fluid with friction modifiers already added in the diff.

What are y'alls recommendations for the R50 Pathy? Auto Trans, and diff.....

moymurfs

Postby moymurfs » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:45 am

For the transmission I bit the bullet to play it safe and stuck with the Nissan Matic From a service counter at a Nissan dealer. For the diff I just used some name brand oil for a limited slip diff (offhand I think that's what the manual called for).

Jerm

Postby Jerm » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 pm

Ya I didn't get a manual when I bought it last year. Some swear by Amsoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, and etc (which are all great). However, before I splurge on the good fluids I'd like to know if anyone has had issues with them. Or just go to the Stealership and get OE....

I'm cautious bc I've heard and seen plenty of horror stories with the GTO diff and tranny fluids being the reason for killing said parts.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:16 pm

For the differential, Nissan calls for GL-5 gear oil for the standard differential and GL-5 Limited slip differential gear oil for the LSD rear. When I worked for Nissan years back, they used to use Pennzoil LSD gear oil for warranty claims as specified by Nissan, but any gear oil that is specified for use in LSD diffs will work. I often use Walmart's Syntech Full-synthetic 75W-90 or Mobil One synthetic 75W90 gear oil. Last time I went to the Walmart in my area, they didn't have either, so I went with Valvoline LSD gear oil 80W90.

The transmission fluid is Nissan Type "D" ATF...which is essentially Dexron/Dexron II and has a slightly thinner viscosity than Dexron III/Mercon. Dexron III is okay for topping off the fluid, but Nissan doesn't recommend it for a full service, as it has been shown to cause valve sticking in the valve body of the Nissan auto trans. For this reason, one should stick with an ATF that is "recommended for use in Dexron II applications." Most of your synthetics will work just fine. For me, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Castrol Multi-import ATF will also work well. Dexron III/Mercon will work fine in the transfer case, but I stick with the Valvoline Maxlife ATF here, as well, which is a synthetic fluid.

Jerm

Postby Jerm » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Sweet thanks smj

asnorton44

Postby asnorton44 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:51 am

Copy and paste from another forum:

VQ35DE equipped Pathfinders & QX4s, 2001-2004:

Engine oil
Drain & refill, with oil filter: 5.25 quarts
Drain & refill, without oil filter: 5.07 quarts
Dry engine (engine overhaul): 7.25 quarts

Cooling system (including reservoir): 9.75 quarts (2.4375 gallons)
Reservoir capacity is 5/8ths of a quart (~0.634 quarts).

Manual transmission gear oil
Use API GL-4 fluid only or risk damaging brass synchros! Scroll down for an explanation under the "Transmission and driveline" Q&A section. Redline MT-90 and Amsoil MTG are excellent choices.
2WD: 2.96 quarts
4WD: 5.39 quarts

Transfer fluid:
Part-time 4WD model: 2.32 quarts
Use Nissan Matic D or equivalent Dexron III/Mercon, or GL-4 gear oil. ATF is used in the factory. Do not mix ATF and gear oil in the transfer case.
All-mode 4WD model: 3.17 quarts
Use Nissan Matic D or equivalent Dexron III/Mercon. ATF is used in the factory.

Front differential: 1.95 quarts
Use GL-5 fluid, preferably 80W-90. 75W-90 is usable as well; scroll down for more details under the "Transmission and driveline" Q&A section.

R50 fluid capacities, all years:

Automatic transmission fluid:
Use Nissan Matic D or equivalent Dexron III/Mercon fluid.
Dry fill: 9 quarts
Approximate drain and fill amount: 4 quarts

Rear differential: 2.96 quarts
Use GL-5 fluid, preferably 80W-90. 75W-90 is usable as well; scroll down for more details under the "Transmission and driveline" Q&A section.
Power steering fluid: 0.95 quarts
Use synthetic ATF for better cold-weather performance and lower operating temperatures; scroll down for more details under the "Other components or issues" Q&A section.
Brake and clutch fluid: however much you need to flush the lines until clear fluid comes out of the bleeders.
Brake bleeding order can be found under the "Brakes" Q&A section, or in BR section of FSM under "Bleeding Brake System" subheading under "CHECK AND ADJUSTMENT" (1996-1997 FSMs) or "ON-VEHICLE SERVICE" (1998-2004 FSMs).
Use DOT3, DOT4, or DOT5.1. All three are ethylene glycol based and are interchangeable; DOT4 and DOT5.1 have higher minimum wet and dry boiling points. Do not use DOT5 fluid as it is silicone based and is not miscible with the other DOT fluids. Scroll down for more details under the "Brakes" Q&A section.
Propeller shaft grease: NLGI No. 2 lithium soap base
1996-2001.5 models specify grease containing molybdenum disulphide.
Grease fittings:

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”