Key Options

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Barjrob1972

Key Options

Postby Barjrob1972 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 am

Having just purchased a 2012 Pathfinder Silver, I only received one Intellikey. I only need a backup key and giving what the dealership wants to charge for a new Intellikey, is there an option for just a regular key and FOB combo? The dealership is not very forthcoming with information.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Key Options

Postby eieio » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:11 am

Barjrob1972 wrote:Having just purchased a 2012 Pathfinder Silver, I only received one Intellikey. I only need a backup key and giving what the dealership wants to charge for a new Intellikey, is there an option for just a regular key and FOB combo? The dealership is not very forthcoming with information.
of course they're not very forthcoming
they're only in it for the $$$$$$$$$$
they're not likely to send you down the road to spend elsewhere
eBay has been a source for some
just make sure that you have access to whatever programming may be necessary

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:15 am

eieio wrote:
Barjrob1972 wrote:Having just purchased a 2012 Pathfinder Silver, I only received one Intellikey. I only need a backup key and giving what the dealership wants to charge for a new Intellikey, is there an option for just a regular key and FOB combo? The dealership is not very forthcoming with information.
So I can just get a regular key and FOB? I saw them on Ebay but wasn't sure. I figured you could since the Intellikey has a built-in key that works like normal.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:37 am

Barjrob1972 wrote:
eieio wrote:
So I can just get a regular key and FOB? I saw them on Ebay but wasn't sure. I figured you could since the Intellikey has a built-in key that works like normal.
I really don't know
I just mentioned eBay because I've seen several posts about replacement keys & fobs purchased there
You need to see what's available to you and make sure it is compatible with what you need to do

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:40 pm

I buddied up to a mobile key guy. There are people out there will come to you, sell you the key, and program it. I have one of them do it for me on the side when I do remote starts that need keys hidden. For my pathy it was 40 bucks a key, including programming. This was the non smart key though.

I'd suggest looking up "mobile key makers" or something like that, you could also call your local remote start shop and ask them who they use to duplicate keys. If you get the persons phone number and ask the actual tech to do it on the side for cash, they probably will.

Its funny. I met mine at a Toyota dealership. The New Car sales department actually used this service (above the table, paying full price) when they needed keys to new cars. Their parts and service departments wanted to much to cut/program the key, so they bring in someone else instead. Thats how bad dealership keys are, even the dealerships themselves don't want to pay the prices.

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:52 am

I actually bought a regular key and FOB on Ebay for $115, used a key-cutter at work and tried to program the key using varied instructions found online. It didn't work. Meh, it was worth $15 to try.
According to two dealerships, I only have the option for the Intelligent Key on my '12 Pathy. The first dealership wanted about $350 and the second was about $100 less.
I got the Intelligent Key online for $40 and it will cost $100 to program. I can live with that.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am

:shock: Shheeettt! I better not loose any of my keys at those prices :lol:

Return to “R51 Electrical”