Path pingin?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Path pingin?

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:46 am

Good day!

Fairly new to the VQ40 engine. I do notice some pinging at certain load/rpm ranges. I know it 'recommends' high octane fuel as per the fuel door, but the manual says 87 is OK. Premium is $0.10/L more up here, so thats an additional $8 per fill ($1.26/l vs 1.36/l. US guys will think thats ridiculous, UK/Europe guys will think what a great deal!). I guess thats not all that bad. Down stateside, its only $0.10 a gallon upcharge though.

There is almost 100k kms on my truck. Is it possible that the Knock sensor is not doin its job?

What effect does 10% ethanol have on pre-detonation?

Any other ideas than the obvious "use premium"? How about alternating High octane with regular 87 if I fill at 1/2 a tank? Would that work?

Thanks!
t

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:50 pm

Next time you take it in, have them check for codes. At least with other Nissans, problems with the knock sensor will set a code but not turn on the check engine light. I just went though this with my Maxima.

I've only used 87 on the Pathfinder so far with no pinging. If it just started, maybe you got a bad batch of gas.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:46 pm

08Datsun wrote:Next time you take it in, have them check for codes. At least with other Nissans, problems with the knock sensor will set a code but not turn on the check engine light. I just went though this with my Maxima.

I've only used 87 on the Pathfinder so far with no pinging. If it just started, maybe you got a bad batch of gas.
leaning towards the fuel quality... i scanned for codes, nothin.

will be taking it in for an oil change and get some minor post sales service done, so I will ask them then.

t

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:57 pm

I actually noticed this with mine as well lately. I just passed my factory warrenty so i hope its nothing serious. Anyway i would like to know what you find out or what others might advise.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:02 pm

Citcope wrote:I actually noticed this with mine as well lately. I just passed my factory warrenty so i hope its nothing serious. Anyway i would like to know what you find out or what others might advise.
I have read on some nissan forums that the knock sensor can be an issue (IIRC it was on a Maxima though). The sensor is actually like a microphone, and when it senses sound in a certain frequency it instructs the ECM to retard the timing, which solves the predetonation issue, but reduces your power some.

Like I said, totally off the top of my head from something I read over 2 yrs ago, so maybe someone who knows better can confirm or deny what I just said.

I am also going to put some Lucas Oil Fuel treatment in my tank. Next fill will be high test (93 octane) to see if I'm not just making these noises up in my head.

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:56 pm

I've always noticed a little bit of pinging at certain load conditions, no matter what octane fuel I used. If it's pinging during normal cruising, then it's not good and you should have it checked out. If it's pinging on mild to moderate acceleration, it's probably normal. Best fuel efficiency is achieved when the mixture is slightly on the lean side, of which pinging is an indicator.

Since the truck has done it since new, and only does it on mild acceleration sometimes, I haven't worried about it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”