Giant snowstorm, my dashboard lights up like the 4th of July

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

down on the upside

Giant snowstorm, my dashboard lights up like the 4th of July

Postby down on the upside » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:24 pm

I had just returned from a fairly long trip to the mountains, kept the vehicle in my usual parking (uncovered). Cowtown had a huge snowstorm, and now the 4WD, ABS, VDC off and SLIP lights are illuminated on my dash and won't go away. I tried a quick trip in the neighborhood, but it doesn't look like there's any issues. Suggestions anyone?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:50 pm

All systems can be related to the ABS system, so you should have the systems checked for stored codes. This would need to be performed with a capable scantool and not a generic OBD II code reader used by most part stores.

jman9895

Postby jman9895 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 pm

is it push to start? My altima had that exact problem and the brake light swtich was bad.. But really any sensor in any of those systems can have that trouble. Wheel speed, output speed, brake pedal switch, or any of the other parts of the ABS system.

The Traction Control and ABS systems all montior wheel speed to see if anything is slipping or gripping. Depending on what you're telling it to do (accelerate or brake) the abs or traction control will decide what to do. Since they both watch wheel speed, brake pedal position, among others, generally when you get a bad sensor, both systems will complain about it.

Kenneth_H

Postby Kenneth_H » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:52 pm

Hello

I have the same issues, but mine go back to normal after I turn off the engine, and start again. According to the workshop manual, you have to drive faster than 30 km/h for more then 1 minute to reset the system.
On my 2005 that works fine, but every once in a while, the lights come back on again.

Is it possible to buy this scan tool online? I have tried to get some info with a OBD2 reader, but it cannot find any faults on the vehicle.

I belive this fault could be a abs sensor with bad connection, but it would be nice to know wich one.

Kenneth,

Norway

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:59 pm

Kenneth_H wrote:Hello

I have the same issues, but mine go back to normal after I turn off the engine, and start again. According to the workshop manual, you have to drive faster than 30 km/h for more then 1 minute to reset the system.
On my 2005 that works fine, but every once in a while, the lights come back on again.

Is it possible to buy this scan tool online? I have tried to get some info with a OBD2 reader, but it cannot find any faults on the vehicle.

I belive this fault could be a abs sensor with bad connection, but it would be nice to know wich one.

Kenneth,

Norway
For something that can work with systems other than just powertrain codes, you are usually looking at a several thousand dollar scantool...i.e. OTC Genysis, X431, Snap-on Modis, Consult III.

Kenneth_H

Postby Kenneth_H » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:20 pm

Thanks.

So one of these readers will be able to read "old" codes?

Do you know if this one is usable?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 23&alt=web

In norway I have to pay 100-150 just to have the codes read at a workshop.

So owning an old car will quickly make it affordable to have a proper reader.
But the OTC and the Snap-on was priced up to $12000 on ebay!!!!!! :shock:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Kenneth_H wrote:Thanks.

So one of these readers will be able to read "old" codes?

Do you know if this one is usable?
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 23&alt=web

In norway I have to pay 100-150 just to have the codes read at a workshop.

So owning an old car will quickly make it affordable to have a proper reader.
But the OTC and the Snap-on was priced up to $12000 on ebay!!!!!! :shock:
I haven't used the Creader, but it looks like it may work for what you need. The X431 that I use is an older model and looks like this:

http://b2bimg.bridgat.com/files/Launch_X431_TOOL_9.jpg

Return to “R51 Electrical”