My first Pathfinder 2006 Off-Road

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

skyhead

My first Pathfinder 2006 Off-Road

Postby skyhead » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:33 am

Hello all, good forum here and lots of good reading and advice. I've purchased my first Nissan and Pathfinder. I've always liked the looks of these and when the opportunity to buy one came up I jumped on it. I stumbled across this one because I was looking for something to haul all the grandkids and did not want a minivan. The third row seat was reason enough to convince my wife to let me buy it.

It has 112000 miles and seems well taken car of. There are a couple minor rust spots on the rear hatch I'm going to take care of. Other than that its pretty clean, I'll post pictures soon. I'd read horror stories about the radiator and coolant getting into the tranny and I want to address that ASAP. Since I live in northern ohio I thought it best just to replace the radiator.

Can I get any advice on what else I should check as a new to me vehicle?

Thanks all
Dave

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:21 am

With that many miles, you might look for evidence that any of the standard maintenance work has been done.

Spark plugs, dif fluids, transfer case fluid.

I would like to thing that the radiator has been taken care of by now...but that might be because mine wasnt and it was an '07 with 65k.

Also, to reduce the chance that the timing belt guide whine pops up you might consider a gentle switch to full synthetic oil in the motor. It helps everything glide better, might stall the noise from coming back.

Good find by the way! I wish I'd held out for an offroad model...or at least one I didnt have to immediately do the timing chain on.

skyhead

Postby skyhead » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:50 am

azaizai wrote:
Also, to reduce the chance that the timing belt guide whine pops up you might consider a gentle switch to full synthetic oil in the motor. It helps everything glide better, might stall the noise from coming back.

Good find by the way! I wish I'd held out for an offroad model...or at least one I didnt have to immediately do the timing chain on.
Now that you mention this I noticed the whining buzzing noise last night. It just popped up. I shut the car off and restarted and the noise went away. I guess this is related to TSB NTB09-128? Guess i'd better talk to my mechanic and get this fixed.

skyhead

Postby skyhead » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am

While I was performing my radiator bypass I noticed my lower cowling was loose. I attempted to put it back in place and forgot about it. After I finished the bypass procedure I started the car and got the buzzing really bad again. It turned out the cowling was rubbing against the fan. I'm really hoping this was the same buzzing I heard before instead of the timing chain guides. I moved the plastic cowling and stopped the rubbing temporally. I need to get back under there and figure out the proper way to fasten the cowling.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”