Which is the best engine oil?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Royal purple. Exceeds oil standards although pricey. It is my oil of choice

pitbull60077

Postby pitbull60077 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:26 pm

amsoil seems to be the best. kinda hard to get unless you know of a amsoil dealer. planning on using amsoil in my 2008 pathfinder le with the 4.0 V6

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Personally I run Mobil 1 not that I think it's the best but it is avail just about anywhere. For years my father ran what ever cheep oil was on sale and he always got 200 plus thousand miles out of all his cars and trucks so frankly I think we overthink our oil. I think if you just change it within a reasonable timeframe the rest of the truck will wear out and you will get sick of fixing it long before the engine will give out from wear from a cheep engine oil. Stick with a major brand ..Shell, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc and either Pathfinder engine should last longer then the rest of the truck.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Agree that pretty much any oil will work. Conventional dinosaur oil or synthetic. If you change the oil and filter per the manufacturers recommended intervals the combustion components are likely to outlast the rest of the rig.

With that being said, I run Mobil1 5w30 due to the extended interval length. I believe in order to not void the warranty we are required to change the motor oil every 7,500 miles or so. Mobil1 can easily go 9,000 to 10,000 between intervals so I am quite comfortable running it up to 7,000 between OCI paired with a genuine Nissan oil filter.

In the event you are shopping aftermarket filters, Purolator makes a good one. Rubber seals and other high quality materials in lieu of the paper Shi'ite you'll find in the Fram filters.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:56 am

They tested just about every oil on the shelf in his oil test. Pretty informative and in some cases eye opening IMO. Left me shaking my head...

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:39 pm

08PathPounder wrote:They tested just about every oil on the shelf in his oil test. Pretty informative and in some cases eye opening IMO. Left me shaking my head...

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf
Thanks for the read, that's interesting. My question would be what kind of pressure resistance is needed in a standard application? Obviously that royal purple stuff had a 100-fold better value than mobil 1, but does it actually matter?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:13 pm

leadpig wrote:but does it actually matter?
This. Considering there are many vehicles on the road with 200k-300k miles and dino oil with routine intervals...I think the answer it no. Maybe if you're racing the thing or constantly running at very high revs.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:46 pm

They state that the test is designed to demonstrate a long-term wear in a short period of time. Demonstrating oil " film " strength to be specific. Correct me if I'm wrong ( I am wrong ALOT) but from what I understand the longer you use the lower film strength oil, there is more damage that WILL be done.
Then again, they also state that oils that do well in that test might not do as well in other tests. With the opposite being true also.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:33 am

Welcome to the great oil debate. Been going on for eons it seems with no definitive answer. In fact there is an entire site dedicated to this discussion. Just search Bob is The Oil Guy and see what I mean.

I think the best way to determine the most favorable application for your rig is to try a few oils and send the spent oil in for analysis to obtain the results.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”