Spacer vs Springs

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

SimulatedZero

Spacer vs Springs

Postby SimulatedZero » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:03 am

Alright gents, it's been a while, but I think things are about do for an upgrade. Here's the deal, I'm going for a solid two inches of even lift front and back with a firm, not harsh ride. I'm a fairly aggressive on road driver and would like to smooth out the tight corners a bit and still have decent off road performance.

Current Suspension:
Stock.......
Airlift 1000

Lift Opt 1:
Rancho Quick lifts in the front
Rancho XL's in the rear
OME Medium Rear Springs
Wheel Spacers for wider stance
New Camber Bolts all around

Lift Opt 2:
Rancho Quick lifts up front
Rancho XL's in the rear
Rancho Spacers
4x4 Medium Lift Springs
Airlift 1000
Wheel spacers for wider stance
New Camber Bolts all around

I'm trying to avoid any reverse rake at all with out lowering the front. I would also like to run the rear with out a sway bar, maybe even the front. Are the medium springs stiff enough for good on road performance? And will the new bolts be enough to re-align everything in the rear?

I am open to suggestions on the shocks as well. I would really like something with a good balance in the valving for on road and off road performance.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am

Running a full shock and spring kit from Old Man Emu....firmer ride...less body roll..much more confident off-road performance as the shocks seem to be more resposive and firmer than stock....i chose the most basic kit as the other kits i was adviced that would be too harsh a ride as they are designed for high loads in a situation where the car has alot of ad-n accessories like roof boxes..metal bumpers and or bull bars..tire carriers...extra tanks etc...

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:59 am

Did you have any problem getting things back into alignment with the longer springs?

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:06 pm

Nope...slight....very barely noticeable +ve camber at the rear ..more of nil...as these trucks are designed to have a slight -ve camber at the rear

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Anybody have any thoughts about the pros and cons of either setup? Or any info on the different spring rates between the OME medium, 4x4 Medium, and the rancho quick lift springs?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:26 am

I’d personally go with either the 4x4 parts HD springs vs the medium springs, or the OME medium. Although I have no experience, OME seems like a great company and those springs should be equally as good. Currently I’ve got the MD 4x4 parts springs and PRG rear shocks, but the rear was still really squirmy so I then added the air bags and that really helped in that department. Might as well get the fewest parts with the same effect. Something I wish I woulda done initially.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Did you run a spacer with the MD Springs?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:55 am

SimulatedZero wrote:Did you run a spacer with the MD Springs?
No spacer. I have the polyurethane set but have not installed them just yet. I've got enough elevation so I do not think that I will need to.

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:14 pm

4x4 lists the md springs as only a .5" lift. Is that accurate from your experience NmexMAX? I'm looking at doing the rancho loaded fronts and would like to lift the rear at least 1" since I don't currently have any problem with a rake. Also, does anyone have a part number or link for 1" ome md springs?

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Yes, the MD springs at one point were listed at 1.5 or so of lift, but we all found out this wasn't the case. It does stiffen things up, but doesn't add much lift. As of recently, they (4x4 parts) now offer a second option for rear springs that actually lists it at 1.75" I believe.

As for the OME, here is the link: http://www.rocky-road.com/nissan-pathfi ... t-kit.html

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Mon May 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Ok, so I got tired of waiting for Rancho to email me back and finally called them. I found out that the spring rate on the quicklift loaded struts is the same as factory. Do you guys think it would be worth it to get the standard quicklift and swap out for ome mediums up front and run ome all around? Or do those of you running the quicklift loaded think the spring rate is high enough already?

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Thu May 07, 2015 7:15 am

That response from Rancho really surprises me. I just got done putting my quicklift loadeds on last weekend, and there is no comparison between the rancho and stock springs, visually at least. The rancho springs were much thicker and more closely wound than stock. The difference driving on them is also night and day, albeit I do have the struts cranked up to level 7 dampening. In any event, even if the spring rates are in fact the same, I've found the quicklifts to be an immense improvement and plenty stiff over stock.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri May 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Quick Customizing Tip:
If your rear end is too low and you need a little more lift but not a full 2"...the polyurethane pucks can be cut to size.
(Just don't breathe it in)

If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with the stiffer OME Springs.
And the Radflo shocks make a nice compliment as they aren't too stiff.

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Fri May 15, 2015 2:25 pm

I ended going with the OME Mediums. There are some high end off road and suspension shops in my area that can drill new offset camber bolt holes to realign everything if need be. I bought and already received my Rancho quicklifts and RS9000XL's. Now I'm just waiting on the rear springs on the slow boat from Australia...

Whole set up ended up costing me around 130 out of pocket between the Rancho rebate, tax refund, and some extra funds I had heading my way.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Fri May 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Good deal!
Let us know how you like or dislike the setup once it's all settled in, in a month or so!

I noticed that my HD Spring and modded poly spacer setup really make the back feel solid and not squishy for the first time without using the air bags!

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”