Front End Knock

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

socal4x

Front End Knock

Postby socal4x » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 pm

I am experiencing a front end knock when shifting into drive and accelerating from a standstill...also occasionally occurs when hitting speed bumps or driveways...

I have the OME suspension front and rear...took it to the local 4x shop -- they couldn't find anything...Anyone else with the OME experience this?

I have been using 4 wheel drive alot lately, it didn't occur before that.

Thanks

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:39 am

I *think* I've always had that knock since I installed my OME. I know for sure it make a noise when hitting speed bumps at speed. Never heard anything during acceleration though from a stand still.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:02 am

I'm trying to figure out what you guys are talking about. I don't notice any kind of knock when accelerating from a standstill. Every once in a while, I'll hear something from the rear, but that's only when the suspension gets fully extended from a quick drop or whatever.

As to hearing while going over speed bumps at a good clip, I may have trained myself to ignore any odd noises. I'll see if I can pay attention the next few days since my daily commute involves speed bumps & a number of really steep dips.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:42 pm

Even when not going fast over speed bumps...ie., I am not trying to get airborne...I have thought about coil slap, also have heard that the coil can contact the upper a arm on lifted vehicles -- had that happen on my toyota with the coil spacer...but this is different...I am going to look at the T-case and transmission this weekend, I'm afraid to take it to the dealer for the "Our tech didn't hear anything, and sir of course you are hearing a noise...you altered the stock suspension forever condemning the vehicle to lifetime of problems" bs....

I am resigned to begin to accept this noise as I have on all my other 4x4's

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”