Catalytic converter removal

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

alecsey

Catalytic converter removal

Postby alecsey » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Hello,

A quick question. Is it possible to remove right passenger side catalytic converter together with right front exhaust tube? If catalytic is still attached to the front exhaust tube is it possible to disconnect exhaust tube from main muffler and then remove the assembly by pulling it towards the rear of the vehicle?

I am replacing catalytic converter on right passenger side (bank 1, right?). I've been able to successfully remove all the bolts, studs and nuts except for the one attaching converter to the front exhaust tube (the stud closer to vehicle's side). So I am considering my options.

BTW I am taking pictures of every step and preparing detailed write-up for whoever may need it in the future.

Thanks so much!

alecsey

Re: Catalytic converter removal

Postby alecsey » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:44 am

Answering my own question, yes I did pull out passenger side catalytic converter attached to the rear catalytic (front exhaust tube). I removed rubber exhaust mounting and pushed muffler up as much as it would go. Then I disconnected A/F and heated O2 sensor harness. Then I removed A/F sensor from the front catalytic converter. Then I rotated and pulled them out towards the back -- came out nice and easy. Then I used hack saw to cut the nut along the bolt, and finally I separated front catalytic converter and discovered that catalytic substrate all broke apart and all went into the rear catalyst (front exhaust tube) and clogged it...

I am preparing detailed write-up on how I did it.
alecsey wrote:Hello,

A quick question. Is it possible to remove right passenger side catalytic converter together with right front exhaust tube? If catalytic is still attached to the front exhaust tube is it possible to disconnect exhaust tube from main muffler and then remove the assembly by pulling it towards the rear of the vehicle?

I am replacing catalytic converter on right passenger side (bank 1, right?). I've been able to successfully remove all the bolts, studs and nuts except for the one attaching converter to the front exhaust tube (the stud closer to vehicle's side). So I am considering my options.

BTW I am taking pictures of every step and preparing detailed write-up for whoever may need it in the future.

Thanks so much!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”