Weird Starting Problem

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

DCPathy

Weird Starting Problem

Postby DCPathy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:41 pm

So I've been experiencing a weird starting problem with my Pathy and I was hoping someone could shed some light on a fix. Vehicleis a 2008 LE V8 with 65k miles. As far as I can tell, it has some sort of an aftermarket remote start system installed - it is integrated with the factory keyfob where two pushes of the lock button initiates a starting sequence. Weird thing is, it cranks and never fires. I don't care about that feature and never use it anyway, just wanted to mention that it's there. So recently, i've noticed that if i try to start the car with the key and accidentally dont crank it long enough to catch the first time, any subsequent attempts to start it will result in all cranking and it will not fire. No matter how many times i try to start the car with the key after the first failed attempt, it's no dice. If, however, I take the key out, press the lock button on the fob, followed by the unlock key and then stick the key back into the ignition, it will fire up fine on the next try. It's as if the locking/unlocking sequences resets something(anti theft/relay/something) and then I am good to go. Anyone have any idea as to what's happening here. No codes stored in DTC. Thanks!!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:13 pm

I would certainly guess it's related to the remote starter. I'd probably stick your head under the dash and see if you can ID the brand/model of the starter. The control boxes are usually up behind the fuse panel behind the parking brake pedal. Find a manual online and see if you can trouble-shoot it. There's usually ways to turn the remote system on/off by doing button pushes or dip-switches on the control box.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Fri May 01, 2015 3:15 am

I'd try holding the key in on position for a few seconds. Sometimes (on all cars) the gas pump needs time

SimulatedZero

Postby SimulatedZero » Fri May 01, 2015 3:02 pm

I would not hold the key down and run the starter like that. That's a good way to burn out a starter. Modern cars are very efficient, relatively, and don't really need it. If you've narrowed it down far enough to have consistent, purposely repeatable results then I would look up the data and any issues on that remote starter.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”