Bulb replacement

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Bulb replacement

Postby Fofiddy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:41 pm

Anyone change over their headligfhts to a PIAA or other premium after market bulb? I changed out my bulbs to Sylvania Siverstars which were a noticable improvment over stock. One of my lows burnt out and I'm trying to figure out whether I want to buy another Silverstar or upgrade to a PIAA.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:08 am

Why don't you stick with the silverstars. Then they output will match. Should be the same color.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:25 am

I planned on swapping both sides... now days you can buy the pair of silverstars for $40 for a pair and the PIAAs go for about $60 a pair. Sure beats about 4 years ago when the PIAAs would set you back $100 for the pair. I'm still pretty insulted that Nissan gave everyone with the exception of North America the option for HID/Xenon lamps and bulbs. I've beeen hunting the part nubers for a retrofit but so far have been blocked by language barriers.

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:22 pm

I have PIAA's around. I am completely happy with them.

Just_Visiting

Postby Just_Visiting » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:38 pm

Anyone considered just upgrading to HID's?

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:24 am

I am but the 9007 bulbs limit your options. There are manufacturers that make HID conversion bulbs (and ballasts) that can do High and Low beam, but the quality and reliability are unaccoutned for. Also the lenses were cut for halogen bulbs, the actual HID units Nissan makes for the Euro and Aussie market R51s supposedly have a different lense and reflectors. I saw the projector lenses they sell on ebay that look like good candidated for an aftermarket HID kit. Only drawback is you have to deal with the ghetto fabulous BMW wannabe LED halo lights and no idea of the quality of the seals. $300-500 is alot to spend on something that no one seems to know much about, I for one would feel much more comfortable spending up to twice that for the Genuine Nissan parts to do the same thing, but do it right.

Just_Visiting

Postby Just_Visiting » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:46 am

I absolutely agree about the angel-eyes wannabe. I've seen it on a couple of Pathys on www.cardomain.com. There are a couple of company's that can do the projector conversion. I'll post the link later.

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:14 am

I have the PIAA bulbs in the headlamps and the fogs... They work and look much better than the OEM ones... See my pictures........ Triffid

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Triffid wrote:I have the PIAA bulbs in the headlamps and the fogs... Triffid
did you get the adapters for the headlight connectors? Looking at getting Piaa's for the wife's Pathy.

Ride2Live

Educate me

Postby Ride2Live » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:35 pm

What is the benefit of swapping out stock bulbs with PIAA bulbs? Do these give the blue look like my G35 has?

It sounds like there is more to the light than just the bulb? That is what I am getting from reading these posts. So if you just switch the bulb do you get a partial effect?

And last what are HID's?

My last 4X4 was a new 87Toyota, I put a lift, wheels, tires, a rollbar and lights and that was it. Things have definetly changed!

I appreciate all information, I would like to make my PF lights look like the G35 if its feasable.

Ride2Live

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Postby Triffid » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:13 am

boogyman wrote:
Triffid wrote:I have the PIAA bulbs in the headlamps and the fogs... Triffid
did you get the adapters for the headlight connectors? Looking at getting Piaa's for the wife's Pathy.
There are no adapters needed... Just plug and play......... Triffid

Triffid
Sponsored Member

Re: Educate me

Postby Triffid » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:16 am

Ride2Live wrote:What is the benefit of swapping out stock bulbs with PIAA bulbs? Do these give the blue look like my G35 has?

It sounds like there is more to the light than just the bulb? That is what I am getting from reading these posts. So if you just switch the bulb do you get a partial effect?

And last what are HID's?

My last 4X4 was a new 87Toyota, I put a lift, wheels, tires, a rollbar and lights and that was it. Things have definetly changed!

I appreciate all information, I would like to make my PF lights look like the G35 if its feasable.

Ride2Live
The light is whiter, not blue, and more intense... The headlamps and fogs reach a little further out... Very easy plug and play........ Triffid

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:21 am

Thanks Triffid, I'll have to get to ordering them, since it's getting dark earlier and need the added light.

Just_Visiting

Postby Just_Visiting » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:36 pm

Ride2Live

Re: Educate me

Postby Ride2Live » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Triffid wrote:
The light is whiter, not blue, and more intense... The headlamps and fogs reach a little further out... Very easy plug and play........ Triffid
Triffid,

Thanks for the info. I really need to catch up technology.... for some reason I thought people referred to the headlights like my Fiance's G35 as "True White Light".

BTY I like what you have done to your PF! I see a set of the Husky floor mats in the near future before it snows here in Ohio.

Live2Ride

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”