Scraping/rubbing/grabbing sound

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Muuarren

Scraping/rubbing/grabbing sound

Postby Muuarren » Sat May 16, 2015 1:36 pm

About a month ago I bought a 2005 Pathfinder. About a week later it developed an intermittent rubbing or scraping sound. The sound was very much like a brake that was sticking and was metal on metal; but applying the brakes has no effect on the sound.

I then thought it might be that the parking brake parts had come loose and would occasionally rub, this also made sense since the e-brake does not hold. I took the tires off today and everything is in order with the brakes except the park brake needs adjustment.

it has taken to getting worse; louder and now it makes a snapping/binding noise. when it makes the noise I can feel it in the floor.

The sound is speed related as it slows and stops with the vehicle. The only thing I can to to effect the sound (other than change speed) is to turn sharply. turning seems to make it worse or better, but not reliably either and direction of turn doesn't seem to matter.

I can find nothing even close to rubbing underneath. heat shields are firmly in place. all the u-joints and c/v's seem tight.

It is still intermittent. When it starts and stops seems random and not related to any particular event in driving.

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat May 16, 2015 2:12 pm

not sure if you know that the parking brake is independent of the disc brakes
did you actually inspect the parking brake shoes & drum?
did you adjust the parking brake?
if so, does it work now?
sometimes the u-joints do not exhibit obvious play when failing
you may need to unbolt the driveshaft to inspect them

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Sat May 16, 2015 2:19 pm

I did pull the rotors and inspect the drum elements inside. I did not adjust the e-brake; I offer no explanation other than perhaps laziness.

It seems that a u joint would be more consistent than this has been. Sometimes you can drive all day and not hear it and then the next it will do it most of the time.

Thanks for the input.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Tue May 19, 2015 10:39 am

Have you checked the wheel bearings? They often make rubbing, grinding, roaring sounds. They can be constant or intermediate. Temperature plays a lot of part with them and also sometimes a bump can cause them to start making noise when they are already on there last leg. I would check them out or just replace as a procaution of your mileage is getting up there. Rockauto.com has the best prices. timken makes a Good Quality replacement.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Wed May 20, 2015 7:24 am

Sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing. Lift the wheel off the ground, and push/pull on the top. If there's play in it, then the bearing is bad.

It'll sound like a metal on metal, grinding noise because the brakes and spray shield and whatnot will be spinning out of alignment. The sound will come and go as the bearing shifts a bit while you drive.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Wed May 20, 2015 2:30 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Sounds a lot like a bad wheel bearing. Lift the wheel off the ground, and push/pull on the top. If there's play in it, then the bearing is bad.

It'll sound like a metal on metal, grinding noise because the brakes and spray shield and whatnot will be spinning out of alignment. The sound will come and go as the bearing shifts a bit while you drive.
This is a good way to test, but also note sometimes the bearings make sound without showing much if any play.

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Wed May 20, 2015 3:37 pm

I'll look to YouTube, I suppose, but was wondering how difficult a task it is to change a rear bearing on this. Any idea on what tools. It is certainly the right rear bearing. Quite sloppy.

Thanks for all the input.

Muuarren

Postby Muuarren » Wed May 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Please disregard, I got it apart.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”