Stripped differential drain plug

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

grm3

Stripped differential drain plug

Postby grm3 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:57 am

The head on my rear differential drain plug was pretty rusted, so when I tried removing it with the necessary hex socket, it rounded out. Luckily, I have a set of large Torx sockets from my Wrangler days, so I was able to tap the T55 into the rounded hex slot with a hammer, and wrench it out pretty easily.

If anyone else runs into this problem, I hope you find this tip useful.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:49 pm

Nice save! I was always wondering, what if one of those hex sockets round out... :roll:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:19 pm

If it was that tight, I'd probably try the hex socket on an impact driver.

grm3

Postby grm3 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:45 pm

The drain plug stripped, not the socket, so I'm not sure an impact driver would have helped.
I had to buy a new drain plug to replace the stripped one when I finally got it out.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:28 pm

labsy wrote:Nice save! I was always wondering, what if one of those hex sockets round out... :roll:
then you can also put on your safety glasses, hook a chisel blade into the outer circumference of the drain plug, and whack it in the counterclockwise direction :)

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:47 pm

eieio wrote:... hook a chisel blade into the outer circumference of the drain plug, and whack it in the counterclockwise direction :)
I'd not recommend this technique, as you only have topmost a quarter of inch of lever, hitting plug at the side.

By my experience best methods to release stuck drain plugs are:
- soaking it with some antiseize/liquid wrench spray few times
- hitting the plug with hammer few times to let rust crack a bit, but being careful not to damage the surroundings or housing. Impact driver might have similar effect, but honestly, it's a rough tool, very strong and I'd be careful with that.
- if still no avail, you can use some propane torch to heat it up moderately. Not too much, not till it glows red, but just enough to get some expansion and later contraction. Don't cool it with water or spray - just let it cool down, hit few times with hammer and try to undo again

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”