Radio power issue

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Northboundndown

Radio power issue

Postby Northboundndown » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:39 am

Good morning, I'm new here!

I have a 2002 Pathfinder LE; just shy of 200k miles, purchased about a year ago and aside from needing to replace the 4-link, I haven't had any issues until now, albeit not a major one.

I live in MN and now that it is getting cold, I am having a temperature related problem with the radio. Shortly after a cold start (40 degrees or less), the radio will randomly shut off. I can turn it back on right away but until the engine/interior temp warms up a bit, it keeps doing it. It does NOT do this when its 40+ degrees out... Normally I wouldn't really care but having to reset my stations 3-4 times every morning is rather annoying.

Doesn't look like this vehicle has a BCM, so I am curious where I should look for loose/corroded connections? Could this be fuse related, or is the head-unit going out? I'll be tinkering with it tonight and this coming weekend, but if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Any help is appreciated!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:36 am

My guess is that it's likely an internal problem with the head unit. You could locate a wiring diagram for your radio and locate the fuses and harness connectors in the system and try disconnecting/reconnecting them to correct a possible poor contact. After that, your options would be to send the head unit out to a place that repairs automotive radios or replace it with an aftermarket unit. For a place that repairs them, just Google-search "Nissan radio repair" and you should find a number of choices. For an aftermarket option, I highly recommend Crutchfield.com. If you happen to have a Bose system, keep in mind that they usually use 1-ohm or 2-ohm impedance speakers and amps, unlike the 4-ohm impedance that is more common on most non-Bose systems and aftermarket decks. The Bose systems often need a line-out converter to use an aftermarket deck with the factory Bose amps and speakers. Crutchfield can help you with that, too.

Northboundndown

Postby Northboundndown » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:54 am

Good info!

Any special tools needed to pull that head unit or do I just pop the trim out and remove screws? I know on my previous vehicles I needed a key-set to pull it out.

It does have the Bose system, if it comes to replacing the head unit, I will make sure to keep the line-out converter in mind. I've dabbled a little on Crutchfield, they do typically seem to have everything one could need.

Someone mentioned to check body grounds but I cant think of how that would result in a temperature related problem...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:02 pm

The radio actually grounds directly through it chassis to the vehicle chassis. As far as tools, all you should need is a Phillips head screwdriver and a trim tool to pry on the trim panels.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”