fuel pump and sending unit

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mforce

fuel pump and sending unit

Postby mforce » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:29 am

I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit and it died after 10,000 miles. Is there a quality difference between the Nissan replacement for $350 vs aftermarket denso,carter,Bosch, for $140-$185? Trying to save some funds here.I know it's the fuel sending unit and just figured I might as well do fuel pump while I'm at it. To much of pain to do twice. Any thoughts? I have 99,000 miles on it right now and counting...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:22 pm

I actually just replaced the sending unit on my 2008 SE with 168,000 miles and went through the same dilemma as to whether to replace just the sending unit or replace the fuel pump module?
The problem is that the quality of some aftermarket fuel pumps isn't the best and I've run into a lot of problems with them, not only on Nissans, but other makes, as well. Airtex is one of them and I will never purchase and Airtex fuel pump, again! I generally prefer to stick with OEM fuel pumps, i.e. genuine Nissan for Nissans, Delphi for GMs, Motorcraft for Ford products, etc. One thing about the R51, like most Nissans, is the fuel pumps are pretty reliable and you don't hear of too many of them failing; it's the fuel sending units where they dropped the ball on the R51s!
So, in the end, even with the high mileage, I decided to just replace the fuel sending unit, the updated "clip" that goes around the base of the sender that attaches to the fuel pump module which I found out about in a TSB for 2006 & 2008 fuel sender incidents, and, of course, the "O"-ring. I was real tempted by the Denso, which is a brand owned by Toyota, by ultimately the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" sense kicked in and I decided to leave the pump alone. Hopefully, I won't be telling you next week that the fuel pump went bad! ;)
BTW, I was really glad I purchased the tool to remove the lock-ring for the fuel pump module before I dropped the tank!

mforce

Postby mforce » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:50 pm

The funny thing is that I noticed today when I closed the hatch hard the has gauge went to empty. I then got out and open it and shut it hard again and my fuel gauge went back to full where it should be since my tank is full. So I'm wondering if it's a loose wire on the pump?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”