Wiring upgrades

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Wiring upgrades

Postby Gray » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:02 pm

I've done the web searches but haven't come up with a source for off the shelf bomb proof Mil-spec type or offroad road rally type upgraded wiring harnesses. Have any had better luck at finding similar or are upgraded wiring harnesses always custom built. Might be an idea for a group buy. Thanks.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:45 am

why?
do you want to replace every wire in the car?
again... why?
off the shelf bomb proof Mil-spec type or offroad road rally type upgraded wiring harnesses
this sounds like a hodgepodge of marketing buzz words.

~mike

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:29 am

MonkeyMike wrote:why?
do you want to replace every wire in the car?
again... why?~mike
Quite right Mike, I don't suppose many here would have need to upgrade any of their 4x4 truck's wiring... :wink:

http://www.deutsch.net/deutsch-content. ... lly%20Cars

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:50 am

Greybrick wrote: Quite right Mike, I don't suppose many here would have need to upgrade any of their 4x4 truck's wiring... :wink:

http://www.deutsch.net/deutsch-content. ... lly%20Cars

your using a rally car as an example... :roll:
this isnt a 1978 full size bronco. 99.99% of the people buying this truck are not going to make it into a trail rig (right now its pretty much only markspath and ragpaoa). no-one is going to make a full or even partial replacement wiring harness when there is no market. if you need more power, direct wire your equipment and use a relay.

also, you still havent answered the question... why do you want to upgrade every wire in your truck? do you think that the wiring will not be sufficient for cold weather? do you think that some off-roading is going to make the harnesses fail?

~mike

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:55 am

MonkeyMike wrote:
... you still havent answered the question... why do you want to upgrade every wire in your truck? do you think that the wiring will not be sufficient for cold weather? do you think that some off-roading is going to make the harnesses fail?

~mike
Thanks Mike, yes I`m looking to armor some of the wiring on the PF but probably not all. Mainly this truck is used for long distance commutes to remote work sites. Think driving 500 - 1000 miles in severe weather and then another few hours of offroad trails. A transmission electrical wire getting hit by a rock or pulled off by a tree root a couple of hundred miles back in the bush at -40C in an area with dicey cell phone coverage gives a whole new meaning to having a bad day.

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 am

Greybrick wrote: Thanks Mike, yes I`m looking to armor some of the wiring on the PF but probably not all. Mainly this truck is used for long distance commutes to remote work sites. Think driving 500 - 1000 miles in severe weather and then another few hours of offroad trails. A transmission electrical wire getting hit by a rock or pulled off by a tree root a couple of hundred miles back in the bush at -40C in an area with dicey cell phone coverage gives a whole new meaning to having a bad day.

get skid plates...

~mike

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:42 am

MonkeyMike wrote:
Greybrick wrote: Thanks Mike, yes I`m looking to armor some of the wiring on the PF but probably not all. Mainly this truck is used for long distance commutes to remote work sites. Think driving 500 - 1000 miles in severe weather and then another few hours of offroad trails. A transmission electrical wire getting hit by a rock or pulled off by a tree root a couple of hundred miles back in the bush at -40C in an area with dicey cell phone coverage gives a whole new meaning to having a bad day.

get skid plates... ~mike
Thanks Mike, that's part of the solution. Skid plates don't really help for a heavy road salt environment though. I'll get the chassis electrics upgraded anyway. This isn't anything against Nissan BTW, just that some northern conditions require something better. There are a few northern towns that I've driven through recently where every second truck is a Nissan, mainly Titans...good dealership service there I expect.

dmasini

Postby dmasini » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 pm

May I ask where you do your driving? Maybe a Pathfinder wasn't the best choice? :wink:

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:34 pm

Perhaps an M1A1 would best suit your needs, lol.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Re: Wiring upgrades

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:19 pm

Gray wrote:I've done the web searches but haven't come up with a source for off the shelf bomb proof Mil-spec type or offroad road rally type upgraded wiring harnesses. Have any had better luck at finding similar or are upgraded wiring harnesses always custom built. Might be an idea for a group buy. Thanks.

Dude, you should have bought either a military spec Hummer, or just go balls out and buy an Abrams Tank. They are even outfitted with big guns so you can blast trees that might get in your way when driving to remote locations.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”