Driver's seat parks itself - while car is being driven

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

tootallUK

Driver's seat parks itself - while car is being driven

Postby tootallUK » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:50 am

Hi folks.

I have searched through this section of the Forum but haven't come across this problem, so here goes.

The Pathfinder is my wife's and she's 5ft4. When she's driving, for no apparent reason, the seat will occasionally try to park itself, ie move back from it's position...

Naturally, this is both alarming and potentially dangerous. She uses the electric controls to move it back and that is usually that, until the next time.

It's happened to me too (I'm 6ft6).

I'm assuming this is an electrical issue, rather than anything else. The seat has electrical adjustment and heating...

Possibly related:
1. steering-wheel controls for cruise and stereo have no back-lighting at night.
2. there is an intermittent clicking noise, like a relay going on and off... sometimes it's absent, sometimes almost constant
3. The driver's door has dropped (pins are shot)

Anyone have any bright ideas?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am

I would start by fixing the door. The memory seats move back when the door is opened, so maybe by the door pins being shot, the door switch is being triggered making it seem like the door is open.
I'm not sure if the steering wheel controls are supposed to be back-lit on the 2007 models. They aren't on my 2006 but they are on my 2008.

Taavi

Postby Taavi » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:46 pm

I do not think it it related to drivres door isse. There was a recall on that issue (At least for EU models).
A little bit googling I found this:
Recall Ref: R/2012/036
Exact Model: Navara & Pathfinder
Description: DRIVER SEAT FAULT
VIN:
Build Date: 1 nov 2004 to 5 nov 2009
Numbers: 29866
Defect: The Drivers power seat harness may become trapped between the metal seat bracket and the seat lifter Mechanism. If the vehicle continues to be driven in this condition, damage to the harness may occur and this can result in loss of operation of the driver's power seat. In extreme circumstances unexpected self-operation of the driver's power seat base may occur.
Action: Inspection of the driver's power seat harness for correct installation, rectify if necessary. If the harness is damaged it will be replaced with new.
Launch Date: 02 April 2012
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/recal ... lowIndex=3

tootallUK

Postby tootallUK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:25 am

smj999smj wrote:I would start by fixing the door. The memory seats move back when the door is opened, so maybe by the door pins being shot, the door switch is being triggered making it seem like the door is open.
I'm not sure if the steering wheel controls are supposed to be back-lit on the 2007 models. They aren't on my 2006 but they are on my 2008.
Have adjusted the door so it shuts level but the clicking noises persisted after that.

Changing the pins is on my To-Do list but not the easiest of things to do, while my wife wants to use the car...

tootallUK

Postby tootallUK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 am

Taavi wrote:I do not think it it related to drivres door isse. There was a recall on that issue (At least for EU models).
VIN:
Defect: The Drivers power seat harness may become trapped between the metal seat bracket and the seat lifter Mechanism. If the vehicle continues to be driven in this condition, damage to the harness may occur and this can result in loss of operation of the driver's power seat. In extreme circumstances unexpected self-operation of the driver's power seat base may occur.
Action: Inspection of the driver's power seat harness for correct installation, rectify if necessary. If the harness is damaged it will be replaced with new.
Very interesting. The car is now WAY out of warranty but I have a local Nissan dealer, so I will contact them and see whether they can tell me if the car has had the recall and had work done... I suspect not, as this is exactly what I was thinking it sounded like - a dodgy connection somewhere in the pressure pad/seat gubbins. I can actually make it click by shifting my weight forwards and backwards, as I'm driving...

Thanks for the heads-up... Let's hope it gets at least ONE of the car's problems fixed. Then I can attend to the over-enthusiastic ABS and the array of dash lights that keep coming on...

tootallUK

Postby tootallUK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:05 am

Taavi wrote:I do not think it it related to drivres door isse. There was a recall on that issue (At least for EU models).
VIN:
Further update: Interesting call with Nissan UK. Car not a 2007 model, but in fact built for Cyprus and registered there in 2005. Imported to the UK in 2007. Has had the seat recall done, also a steering shaft recall... Will go to my local Nissan dealer and have it looked at again...

Return to “R51 Electrical”