Antenna replacement

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Antenna replacement

Postby jetstream87 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:27 am

As in one of my old threads my sibling drove my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE into an express car wash and boom that was the end of the antenna. So now I ordered a replacement part Metra AntennaWorks 44-PW22, I am having doubt that it would fit since later I came to know that it was not the replacement part for it as some other sites say it is compatible. Can anyone tell me if this is compatible with my Pathfinder or not? If it is then how easy it is for me to install it? What tools do I need?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:09 pm

If only the power antennae mast was damaged, you can get a replacement mast from Nissan. It's not hard to replace. In most cases, you don't even have to remove the motor. Just take off the top not, turn the radio "on" and let the motor push the track while one pulls the mast up and out. Install the plastic track from the new mast, turn "off" the radio and let the motor retract the antennae into the motor (if it doesn't go down all the way, it's okay). Install the nut and turn the radio "on" and then "off" to check operation. The only time the motor needs to be removed is if the plastic track broke inside the motor, in which case it will need to be removed and disassembled to remove the broken piece.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:40 am

from what I can tell is that the antenna never went down at all even when we turned off the radio or shut off the car. I believe that the motor is damaged in which I read in some article that power antennas was popular back then until it backfired with the motors going out or some malfunction. I recently install a Kenwood 372BT double din. The prior owner took off the indash radio which it had the screen pop out, along with the brackets. Now that I installed the new radio the radio moves freely in which now I have to order a kit that is costing me $200 since the radio is smaller than the prior ones. Now with that said I believe that the antenna needs to be replaced with the motor.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:49 pm

It looks like it would fit. There's one on Ebay that says it will fit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-96-04-PATHF ... 7u&vxp=mtr

Another option would be to get a used one from a salvage yard.

To access the power antenna motor, remove the front-passenger wheel, mud flap and enough screws/clips from the inner, plastic wheel well liner to give you access to the power antenna assembly.
Remove the glove box and the metal panel behind it to access the antenna cable connection and unplug the cable. Tie a string onto the antenna cable to help you fish the new cable back through.
Remove the top nut of the antenna (the one on top of the fender).
Disconnect the electrical connector and remove the bolt(s) from the attaching bracket.
Pull on the cable and pull the grommet out of the body. Pull out the antenna assembly and pull the cable all the way out.
Remove the string from the old cable and tie to the new cable to help you pull the cable through during the installation. Reverse the procedure to install.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:31 am

Thank you so much! I will do this next weekend to work on this project. To top it off my tire blew out going 65 mph on the freeway. Turns out that the tire was rebuild, it had a bump, blew out, rip the top undercarriage of the passenger side, rip the cables for the windshield wiper tank, the trimming of the side wheel, also the top of the tires was ripped out and left just with the wires of the tire. Now I have to find the parts lol.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”