Replacement Key/Fob

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

markspath

Replacement Key/Fob

Postby markspath » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:53 pm

I've never liked the separate key and key-fob for my Pathfinder. This looks like just the solution to my problem (click pic for ebay link):

Anyone have any experience?

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:14 am

I could go for that, the ideal though would be if it was covered so that when the remote control is accidentally touched it doesn't set off the horn alarm. :)

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:32 am

I like it. Do you know the $

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:44 am

part of me wonders if that huge fob on the end will allow the entire assembly to fit into a key cutting machine. it would be kinda worthless if you cant get the key cut...

~mike

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:49 am

Ive seen the key cutter. It would have no problem cutting it. I would realy like this up grade. Kinda like the VW keys

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:01 am

those things are made really cheap. one of my co-workers bought it for his civic and the plastic feels like it will break off just trying to start the vehicle. it's a good idea, just really cheap construction.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:48 am

I've scared the crap out of myself and others a number of times now because of that damned panic alarm. I'm really thinking about taking apart one of mine and severing the connection. I can set mine off just squatting down, with keys in pocket, to measure the tire pressure. This fob looks better in the sense that it is one piece, but the buttons are still exposed. I've never really seen ones that don't have exposed buttons, so I don't know if there even is a solution.

markspath

Postby markspath » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:27 pm

Captain caveman wrote:I like it. Do you know the $
It's ~$60 on this eBay auction. I'd have ordered it by now but all the crooked dealers in my area want to charge me a full hour's worth of labor to register the RFID: $90-110 for 15 minutes worth of work.

I think I've found the section that tells how to program the key fob without the dealer computer. The procedure is:
  1. Get inside and close all doors.
  2. Completely insert and remove the key from the ignition 6 times within 10 seconds -- the hazard lights will flash twice.
  3. Insert key and turn to ACC
  4. Press any button on the key fob once -- the hazard lights will flash twice.
  5. Open driver's door to end registration.
I don't know if this procedure registers the key RFID to the security system. I cannot find any separate procedure for registering the key, either with or without the Nissan CONSULT II service computer.

Anybody know how to register the new key's RFID? Is the above all that needs be done?

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:44 pm

NVSteve wrote:I've scared the crap out of myself and others a number of times now because of that damned panic alarm. I'm really thinking about taking apart one of mine and severing the connection. I can set mine off just squatting down, with keys in pocket, to measure the tire pressure. This fob looks better in the sense that it is one piece, but the buttons are still exposed. I've never really seen ones that don't have exposed buttons, so I don't know if there even is a solution.
i had a rental car last week (for work)... it was a hyundai... and the panic button is on the back of the fob... right where you place your pointer finger when you are pushing the unlock button with your thumb. very dumb layout if you ask me. you have to be extremely careful when you are simply unlocking the car.

the nissan might be sensitive, but that hyundai fob is just a design failure.
MARKSPATH wrote: Anybody know how to register the new key's RFID? Is the above all that needs be done?
i thought that you only had to register the fob. i didnt think our keys were smart... but, it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong. :P

~mike

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:08 pm

MonkeyMike wrote: didnt think our keys were smart... but, it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong. :P

~mike
:-/ unfortunately the keys are chipped as well.

Mark, I'm pretty sure we're all screwed when attempting to program a new key. I did some heavy research into this a while back and it has to be prog'd at a dealer or somewhere with a consult.

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:54 am

I'd much rather have one of those switchblade keys. less clutter in my pocket. However, I do not like the factory keyless entry remote. I can be sitting in my office and the remote pushes against my chair and makes the windows roll down which I think is the dumbest option available. I'm putting in a aftermarket remote start and alarm for christmas. plus I'll get the auto-lock feature-

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:20 am

blink32 wrote: :-/ unfortunately the keys are chipped as well.
yeah, i read some info about that after i posted.
looks like your gonna have to buddy up to the service guy. :x

~mike

markspath

Postby markspath » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:38 pm

macbell7 wrote:I'd much rather have one of those switchblade keys. less clutter in my pocket. However, I do not like the factory keyless entry remote. I can be sitting in my office and the remote pushes against my chair and makes the windows roll down which I think is the dumbest option available.
That could really be a problem if it was raining or snowing outside. But my the remote for my 07SE doesn't control the windows. I'd actually like it to roll-up the windows when locking the doors, because often one of the kids will leave a window down causing me to have to get back in the car, turn the key to ON and then roll-up the window.

I don't have any trouble with the PANIC feature. By default you have to press the button for 3 seconds before it activates, and I think this can be changed by the dealer to a 5 second delay.

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:14 am

I also have the original remote and have not had a problem with the panic button. I usually carry mine inside the pocket all the time.

G35TR

Postby G35TR » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah, these would definately be nice, but wouldn't help me a whole lot. I've programmed our key fobs for the Altima & Pathfinder into a single FOB (one controls both vehicles). I did this in order to eliminate having to carry 2 fobs around, so this would kinda defeat that purpose for me. Unless you could get them with 2 separate keys built into them. :lol:

PS. Also, because both cars run off of 1 fob, I had to use the Altima's FOB's, since they also have the trunk release button that the Pathfinder lacks. No trunk release on these e-bay items.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”