TPMS re-calibration

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

nvrdun

TPMS re-calibration

Postby nvrdun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 am

I have aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors mounted in them. The first time I put them on I went to the Nissan dealership and they calibrated them for me. Then when I took off the wheels for the winter and put on the stock, the TPMS light came on. Again I went to the dealer for calibration. I have continued to do this every fall/spring, but now they have started charging me. Is there a way I can do this myself without going to the dealer?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:47 am

I would try disconnecting the battery for a 1/2 hour or more to se set the computer to have to relearn the TPMS

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:16 pm

here's what alldata shows on reprograming the tpms
Tire Pressure Monitor Reset Procedure
The TPMS will activate only when the vehicle is driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h). Also, this system may not detect a sudden drop in tire pressure (for example a flat tire while driving).

The low tire pressure warning light does not automatically turn off when the tire pressure is adjusted. After the tire is inflated to the recommended pressure, the vehicle must be driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h) for several minutes to activate the TPMS and turn off the low tire pressure warning light. Use a tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure.

*Note:
TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly.

CAUTION: Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
When a spare tire is mounted or a wheel is replaced, tire pressure will not be indicated, the TPMS will not function and the low tire pressure warning light will flash. Contact your NISSAN dealer as soon as possible for tire replacement and/or system resetting.

nvrdun

Postby nvrdun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:03 pm

CAUTION: Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
When a spare tire is mounted or a wheel is replaced, tire pressure will not be indicated, the TPMS will not function and the low tire pressure warning light will flash. Contact your NISSAN dealer as soon as possible for tire replacement and/or system resetting.
So based on the last sentance of this warning, the only thing I can do is have the dealer reset the TPMS sensor?

Driving does not re-set the sensor when I change wheels.

Here is what happens. I change the wheels and drive as usual. The TPMS light will not come on until approx 60 miles of un-interupted driving. Once that happens, I go to the dealer, they charge me some money, and walla the light never comes on again.

MonkeyMike

Re: TPMS re-calibration

Postby MonkeyMike » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:56 am

nvrdun wrote:I have aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors mounted in them. The first time I put them on I went to the Nissan dealership and they calibrated them for me. Then when I took off the wheels for the winter and put on the stock, the TPMS light came on. Again I went to the dealer for calibration. I have continued to do this every fall/spring, but now they have started charging me. Is there a way I can do this myself without going to the dealer?
not sure if nvrdun will ever be back here, but there is some info in the following thread: TPMS INFO

the last link in that thread is for a tire pressure monitoring system reset tool. (thanks to KEVSTER)

~mike

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:45 am

Since Mike brought this back to life I've read up on the links and it looks like "resetting" your original factory TPMS sensors is easy and can be done with a single wire essentially for free. Anyone else who reads this feel free to check out Kevster's post linked by Mike, in particular the last link, and post what you think.

It looks like you could very easily make something similar. The picture of the tool shows it's nothing more than a single wire from the connector to the pistol grip, and then a single wire out to a grounded alligator clip. I'm betting all that is doing is giving you a nice interface to ground out that connector 5 times in 10 seconds.

You could take whatever size female spade connector hooked to a length of wire, connect that to the connector and then leave the other end bare or mate to an alligator clip, male spade, whatever, turn the key on then touch the bare end to a good ground 5 times and bam, same thing done. That "tool" can't be sending any information back to the unit.

This wouldn't work though if you introduced a new TPMS to the setup.

nvrdun

Postby nvrdun » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:23 am

Those links are great!

I may just have to buy that little re-set tool.

Im not sure I could make one, but at $24 its pretty reasonable!

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:26 am

nvrdun wrote:Im not sure I could make one, but at $24 its pretty reasonable!
I'm telling you, you could make it! A piece of wire that is bare at both ends would even work. It's just grounding that pin out 5 times.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”