Headlight bulb HID vs LED

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Gn22

Headlight bulb HID vs LED

Postby Gn22 » Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 pm

HI. I have a 2008 pathfinder s which bulb is better for more light HID or LED

Thank You

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri May 20, 2016 7:17 pm

If you're using the original housing, you'll get better light from a tungsten halogen bulb. Your reflector was designed to provide optimal light focus from the position and length of a tungsten filament. HID and LED bulbs don't use filaments and, therefore, require a different reflector shape and/or a projector lens.

Though the bulbs themselves can be brighter, your stock reflectors can't focus the light, actually making it more difficult to see what's ahead. Plus you'll be blinding everyone else. Don't be "that guy."

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun May 22, 2016 2:18 pm

Exactly!
The main problem with replacement LED bulbs is lack of focus when fitted into originally designed light assembly for incandescent or halogen bulbs. See examples below.
LED light source in not so tinny as filament wire, so you will get much light where you do not want. Many cheap LED bulbs also do not care about placing LEDs even close to focal center, so you get almost no usable light.

These ones were really awful. Thrown light all around, actualy transformed my driving lights into DRLs, with absolutely no value at night!

I even tried these from eBay, claimed to be CREE, but still no go. Beam was much better than with above ones, but still way out of focus, no cut-off, just a lot of light everywhere:

So, go with HALOGEN or buy quality HID conversion kit.

Gn22

Postby Gn22 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:20 am

Thanks

Return to “R51 Electrical”