Temp gauge climbing

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Temp gauge climbing

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:06 am

I been keeping my eye out on the temperature gauge lately since I came to notice that when I leave the car in idle to a certain period of time (lets say I get off the car to pull money of the ATM) I came to notice that the temperature gauge was climbing close to the limit. I turned off the car and waited a couple of minutes for it to cool down in which I came to notice if the temperature gets pretty hot, I tend to drive it and it cools down to the half way point. I checked the coolant level in which it is fine, the reservoir and no problem. What else can it be?

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:51 pm

Is all of your fan shroud intact? There is a removable section on the bottom which sometime disappears allowing considerable airflow to bypass the radiator.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:58 pm

Overheating at stops or low speed conditions but not overheating at highway speeds is usually the sign of a failing fan clutch. The fan isn't spinning fast enough to pull enough air through the radiator core, but, at highway speeds, the air forced through the core is enough to cool the radiator, so the fan isn't really needed (which is the reason to employ a fan clutch and eliminate that drag at highway speeds). If you do replace the fan clutch, stick with genuine Nissan parts. There have been a lot of problems with the aftermarket replacement fan clutches.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:44 pm

smj999smj wrote:Overheating at stops or low speed conditions but not overheating at highway speeds is usually the sign of a failing fan clutch. The fan isn't spinning fast enough to pull enough air through the radiator core, but, at highway speeds, the air forced through the core is enough to cool the radiator, so the fan isn't really needed (which is the reason to employ a fan clutch and eliminate that drag at highway speeds). If you do replace the fan clutch, stick with genuine Nissan parts. There have been a lot of problems with the aftermarket replacement fan clutches.

Came to notice that the fan is spinning in idle and nothing seems to be out of place, is there any way or form that I can diagnose if it is the fan clutch?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”