Engine shuts down and comes back

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Jester296

Engine shuts down and comes back

Postby Jester296 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:48 am

New to the forum and hoping someone can help. Have a 2004 pathy that's having some weird engine/electrical issues. While driving at normal speeds the engine shuts all the way down for a split second and then comes back on with restarting. When this happens I haven't noticed any gauges other than the tach drop to zero. We replaced the fuel filter air filter, cleaned battery contacts, new plugs but it's still having the same issue. Have not been able to purposely reproduce the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss. Thanks.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:27 am

is the SES light on? I had a symptom like this on my 05. It ended up being the crank position sensor, but it did take a while to get it to throw the code.

Also check your battery clamps, they can stretch over time.

Jester296

Postby Jester296 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:56 am

When it shuts off the light flashes on real fast then goes away when the engine comes back so no light right now. Just checked the battery cables and they were good so I cleaned the terminals. I've let it run for an hour and haven't had any problems but haven't been able to test drive it yet. Going to tonight sometime. Hopefully I can get this figured out soon.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Have the ECM codes read; most auto parts stores will do this for no charge. It sounds consistent with a bad cam position sensor or crank position sensor; stick with genuine Nissan for the part, or Hitachi or Mitsubishi on the aftermarket.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”