Which Clutch Kit to buy for the money?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

andrewtexas123

Which Clutch Kit to buy for the money?

Postby andrewtexas123 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Hey everyone I just purchased a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder SE with a 5spd it has 185k on it and got it for $1,200 pretty happy so far not much service required it was taken good care of. The previous owner replaced the clutch at 95K so its almost time to do it again.

I am mechanically inclined and will change it my self - not worried about this process. My main question is what brand clutch is preferred by the community? I am trying to keep the overall cost of this vehicle as low as possible. So price is a huge factor.

I have read many great things about the Valeo clutch kit, but for $290 it is certainly not cheap. Rock auto has the Exedy clutch kit on wholesaler close out for $112 which is extremely appealing. Am I going to regret going for the Exedy? Since it is an involved process to switch out the clutch I dont want to cheap out and regret it later.

Thanks every one for the input in advance!
Andrew

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 pm

I would go with Exedy. A lot of people have used these in their Nissans without issues. Valeo makes the clutch kits for the Nissan value clutch kits, which is another good choice. Make sure you read the factory service manual before you attempt this. You need to remove the withdrawal lever or you will either find it impossible to separate the trans from the engine, or, even worse, cause damage. IIRC, the throwout bearing snaps into the pressure plate, so, it's a little different than the clutch setup on the earlier, VG-equipped Pathfinders.

Gehrkmania

Postby Gehrkmania » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:40 pm

I just bought probably that exact same Exedy kit from Rock Auto and it's a perfect fit. Can't speak to longevity, but it comes with a throwout bearing, pilot bushing, grease, the clutch pressure plate and cover of course - oh, and a sheet of Exedy stickers in case you want to show the world :)

I'll second what he said about dismantling the clutch fork and getting it off the throwout bearing before you try to pull the tranny.

andrewtexas123

Postby andrewtexas123 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks guys, I went ahead and ordered the kit since you guys reassured me on this great deal! I plan on installing it towards the end of the month.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”