Windshield Washers Do Not Work

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

MyFinder

Windshield Washers Do Not Work

Postby MyFinder » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 am

Hello All,
My front windshield washer stopped pumping a little while ago (2011 model). Checked the fuse and it's good. Was figuring i'd have to go in to the wheel wheel to check the pump. But while reviewing some how-to You Tube videos I realized I should have two pumps for both front & rear washers. The rear one does NOT work either. And since it they are on a different switches & the odds of both pumps being bad are slim i'm uncertain now what the problem might be. I don't want to remove the fender well for no reason.
Anyone have any other suggestions??

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:01 pm

I would imagine it works like many of the other systems on the R51 and late model vehicles. The washer switch sends a signal to the BCM (Body Control Module) which, in turn, operates the pump. Have a capable scan tool to access the BCM would allow one to perform an active test of the washer pump to check its circuit and function and would also allow data monitoring to test if the BCM is receiving an input signal when the washer switch is activated. Welcome to the world of modern technology! :roll: You might try to find a downloadable factory service manual which would give you more information. If you can't find a 2011 manual, an earlier R51 manual might suffice. I doubt that they changed much with the system since 2005.

Return to “R51 Electrical”