Need help egI relay..... where is it

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Farmer21

Need help egI relay..... where is it

Postby Farmer21 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:02 pm

Truck stop working. Turns over. Won't start with starting fluid. Long story short we think it's egi relay but don't know what exactly know where it's located.. anyone know the fuse keeps popping

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:17 pm

It's in the IPDM on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Farmer21

Postby Farmer21 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:11 am

OK so I was in a rush yesterday.

This weekend my truck died pulling my car trsilver. Was driving 65 and it shut off like someone reached over and turned the key off to accessories.I pulled it off the road tried starting back up, turned over just fine no start.

After getting to my friends we thought fuel pump. Sprayed some starting fluid in throttle body, nothing. Checked fuse was good. Can hear the fuel pump( I believe it's the fuel pump) kick on. We couldn't get the fuel line off to check pressure.

We then thought maybe timing chain even though I didn't here any notice when it broke down. Compression between 130 and 150.

We then checked 3 and 4 spark plug no spark. So we pulled fuses.

There is a fuse called egi that was blown and everytime we changed turned over it blew. Looking online some nissan forums say that will happen if relay is broke and it had sometime to do.with the fuel pump. I have no ideal what it is or where it's at in the fuse box being those relays are not labelled in my box.

Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I don't know if this egi has anything to do with the problem.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:07 am

FYI, there is a fuel pressure check port on the fuel rail on the driver's side bank. You need a special tool to get in there and disconnect the fuel line so you can install a pressure gauge.
The ECM relay provides power to the ECM. There was a recall on the 2005-2006 Pathfinders, so you may want to check with Nissan for any outstanding recalls or campaigns. The reason you don't see the relay because it is on the back side of the IDPM. Go to NissanHelp.com's knowledge base and download technical bulletin NTB10-137B. It will give you the part number of the relay and has pictures showing where the relay is at. They show a special tool to remove the relay, but you really don't need the tool:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/389/

I would check for stored codes. They symptoms you describe could be caused by a bad camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. Stick with Hitachi or genuine Nissan sensors if you need to replace any of them. Cam sensor failures are more frequent than crank position sensors, but if you have a stored code, it'll help you determine what one it is. Cam position sensors are on the back sides of the cylinder heads.

Return to “R51 Electrical”