question about maintenance

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

m.powerpt

question about maintenance

Postby m.powerpt » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36 am

i have a 2011 path with about 88k miles on it. i bought it certified used a couple years ago with 35k on it. to keep this baby running as long and as efficiently as possible, what maintenance other than oil changes should i look at getting done. i know the car companies always tell you what they think should be done, and when, but i was hoping to get a little feedback from the people whose passion is the pathfinder....not just the people whose business is the pathfinder....

any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks everybody

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:31 pm

2011 is a good year because it wasn't plagued by some of the earlier years' problems (radiator failures, fuel senders, timing chains). All you need to do is follow the manufacturer's service schedule in your owners manual and you'll be fine. If I remember correctly, you'll be scheduled for coolant service and spark plugs at 105,000 miles. The serpentine belt is usually good for around 70,000 miles +/-. Air filter replacement is due at 30,000 mile intervals. Cabin air filters are due at 15,000 mile intervals, but I do mine at 30,000 since I do a lot of highway driving and they really aren't that dirty until then (I used to wait until 45,000 to replace the air filter for the same reasons until I got my aFe CAI system). Nissan keeps changing their oil change intervals; they were 7500 miles for awhile and they went to 5,000 in the last few years. I use synthetic at 7,500 mile intervals, having it tested once by Blackstone Labs, who said I was good for at least 9,500 miles. There is no serviceable fuel filter, so that's not a concern. Rotate your tires as recommended, get an alignment at least once every two years or earlier, as needed. Keep your tires properly inflated and stay on top of the little things as they break and you should...knock on wood...get a long life and a lot of miles out of your vehicle.

m.powerpt

Postby m.powerpt » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

knock on wood, i am very happy with it thus far. i ran my 2005 4-runner to 250k+ miles, and she was still running beautifully. But i have been aching for a pathfinder since the R51 body style was put out. i love the body on truck frame build of it. when i found out my wife was pregnant with our first, i figured a 250k+ SUV was not the best bet to keep my little man safe. maybe thats me being paranoid, but either way Im glad i made the switch.

anyway thank you for the advice. i have been keeping up on my oil. i use a synthetic blend and usually change between 5000 and 7500 miles. do you recommend dealer services or would a good mechanic be just as good? i know some car manufacturers are tricky and dealer service is almost necessary. not sure if Nissan is one of them. also just wanted to make sure i wasnt over-doing the maintenance and changing things that dont need to be changed.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:39 pm

There's nothing overly complicated about the R51, so, in most cases, a good, reputable independent repair shop would be fine. There are some parts, however, that genuine Nissan parts tend to be better than the aftermarket replacements, if such parts should fail. For cam and crank position sensors, ignition components, alternators, starters, belts and fan clutches, genuine Nissan or their OE manufacturer (i.e. NGK, Hitachi, etc.) are the best way to go.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”