Intermittent no start

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

surffx

Intermittent no start

Postby surffx » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:14 am

Hey Everyone,
I have this strange intermittent no start problem. It's on my 2008 V8 LE that has 112k miles on it. SOMETIMES when I turn the key nothing happens. So I turn the key again and it starts right up. It's starting to do it a little more often so I am getting worried about being stranded. It actually did it three times in a row this morning.

When it happens the lights still come on, the seat slides forward, and the gauges still work normal while the key is turned. It's just no crank. When I turn the key again it cranks really strong like twice then starts great. I don't think it's the battery because of how strong it cranks but I could be wrong.

I am terrified of taking it in and them not being able to reproduce it. Or them wanting to replace something and it not fix the problem. I almost want it to stop starting completely so someone can absolutely, one hundred percent fix it. But I don't want to be stranded anywhere when that happens. Thanks for any advice you can give.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:35 pm

It's impossible to say without doing some testing while duplicating the issue. Could simply be the ignition switch, but could be a faulty PNP switch (part of the transmission valve body), a poor battery cable connection at the battery, a faulty starter solenoid, a sticking relay...to name a few.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:23 am

smj999smj wrote:It's impossible to say without doing some testing while duplicating the issue. Could simply be the ignition switch, but could be a faulty PNP switch (part of the transmission valve body), a poor battery cable connection at the battery, a faulty starter solenoid, a sticking relay...to name a few.
start with battery condition (charge & load test) & cable connections [corroded, loose - esp the (-) cable clamp on the battery post], which may have a tight pinch nut, but clamp still loose on the post

Return to “R51 Electrical”