Washer fluid

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

abomb1

Washer fluid

Postby abomb1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35 am

So most of the cars I've ever owned have held a full gallon of windshield washer fluid. I've now refilled mine on my 05 Pathfinder 3 times in under a month because I could only get maybe a quarter of a gallon in at a time. I wonder if there is a problem somewhere in my washer fluid lines since I can get so little in there and the nozzles have frozen up a couple times?

Anyone else notice this?

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:46 am

The manual says the resevoir is 1.2 gallons and that is what mine takes. there may be a problem with your resevoir. Did it start recently?

abomb1

Postby abomb1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 am

myriad46 wrote:The manual says the resevoir is 1.2 gallons and that is what mine takes. there may be a problem with your resevoir. Did it start recently?
Yes, I never noticed it at all last winter. Guess I'll have to start digging around. Thanks, I never thought to look in the manual for that.

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:04 pm

When you say you refill it...does that mean that it runs out (stops flowing out the nozzels)? Perhaps there is some junk blocking the outlet of the resevoir and when you put fluid in, it stirs it around, only to settle out eventually. I don't know if it's easy to pull the resevoir, but it may come to that.

Npath

Postby Npath » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:03 pm

myriad46 wrote:When you say you refill it...does that mean that it runs out (stops flowing out the nozzels)? Perhaps there is some junk blocking the outlet of the resevoir and when you put fluid in, it stirs it around, only to settle out eventually. I don't know if it's easy to pull the resevoir, but it may come to that.
If you gotta pull it out, best place to start is the wheel well. Take out all the screws and the cover should come out, allowing you to see what's inside.

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm

when the light comes on mine holds almost a gallon

abomb1

Postby abomb1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:26 pm

HillbillyJake wrote:when the light comes on mine holds almost a gallon
There's a light? Haven't seen that yet.
Npath wrote: If you gotta pull it out, best place to start is the wheel well. Take out all the screws and the cover should come out, allowing you to see what's inside.
Thanks, I think that's my next step... when it warms up a little.

abomb1

Postby abomb1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:27 pm

myriad46 wrote:When you say you refill it...does that mean that it runs out (stops flowing out the nozzels)? Perhaps there is some junk blocking the outlet of the resevoir and when you put fluid in, it stirs it around, only to settle out eventually. I don't know if it's easy to pull the resevoir, but it may come to that.
Yeah, it stops coming out of the nozzles. There has to be something in there. Maybe someone used water at one time and it freezes when it gets too cold.

Pappy

Postby Pappy » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:14 pm

GOTGOO has a flamethrower he wants to to try. Should make that ice problem go away.

abomb1

Postby abomb1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:35 pm

Pappy wrote:GOTGOO has a flamethrower he wants to to try. Should make that ice problem go away.

I think I'll try looking for the problem myself first, but its always good to have a backup plan, thanks!

MonkeyMike

Postby MonkeyMike » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:40 am

HillbillyJake wrote:when the light comes on mine holds almost a gallon
yeah, it really irks me that you can't get an entire gallon in there when the light comes on. seriously, if you fill up right when the light comes on, you are left with about 3/4" of washer fluid in the bottle. how hard would it have been to set the low level switch so that when it comes on you can put in an entire gallon of washer fluid. argh... rant over.

~mike

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”