Another Grouchy Yorkshireman

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

johndemmerson

Another Grouchy Yorkshireman

Postby johndemmerson » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:42 am

Greetings all

Just replaced my Navara with a sparkling new Pathfinder Aventura, thanks to the terrific deals going round now. Transfered my Tunit module to the new vehicle. In the Navara I was getting very impressive fuel figures, sometimes into the low 40's. Haven't noticed any really impressive stuff with the Pathfinder yet, but it ain't run in yet. Which is a point! Does anyone else have a Tunit module on a Pathfinder & what number do you find best on the dial.
Someone mentioned a Bose sound system in theirs. I had my speakers upgraded, because when I looked at them they were rubbish! Sounds a lot better now.

Crouchback

Postby Crouchback » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 am

Can you explain to a beginner what a Tunit module is, please?

And welcome from the other Yorkshireman - I'm about 15 miles from you in Rotherham - and, yes, I got a great deal (I think) too!

johndemmerson

Postby johndemmerson » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 am

Hi Crouchback
A Tunit module is basically a performance chip. Our American cousins wouldn't be interested, as their Pathfinders would be petrol rather than our obligatory diesel.
The module just wires into the CPU circuit. It takes about 10 minutes to do, and increases the power to between 200 & 210 bhp, whilst at the same time reducing the fuel consumption. Magic really!
On top of the module is a 9 position rotary switch, which you have to access through a plastic cover and adjust with a screwdriver. Usually the unit should be set at 5 or 6. This is where I had it on the Navara. The lower the number, the greater the economy. The higher the number, the more power, for towing for example.
During a long road trip across Europe last year I was getting over 40 mpg on long motorway runs. It never dropped below 35 unless I was doing nothing but town driving.
I had the garage transfer it to my new Pathfinder on delivery. To date the fuel figures are nowhere near what I was getting in the Navara. However, as I have done less than 2000 miles, I don't anticipate anything good until the engine loosens up. I have 36,000 on my Navara & the engine has never been so smooth. This was asimilar to a Daihatsu Fourtrack I owned years ago. I was told it would loosen up at 36,000 miles. I thought it was total rubbish, until I hit that magic mark. I had already advertised it for sale, & nearly kept it because it was so good.

Crouchback

Postby Crouchback » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:32 am

Thanks mate - that's clearly something I shall think about. Keep me in touch with your mpg and your Tunit settings, please. I've only got a couple of hundred miles on the clcok so, far but the trip computer is suggesting 30 mpg, which is not bad for a lot of local stop start running.
On the subject of Bose - I have been quite impressed with the hi-fi as fitted - especially with the MP3 CDs I make on the computer as I have many thousands of these available.

yarilo

Postby yarilo » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:26 am

John, hello!

Why you bought Tunit? Is it popular in UK or simply has been recommended? I'm using TuningBox from Upsolute and quite happy with it but when I kick accelerator deep I got black smoke exhaust. It's possible to make changes inside of the box to avoid this effect but power will be decreased as well. Is it the same in your case?

Also, have you heard about EGR exclusion? This is especially to correct such effects, but pollution will become non-ecological :-)

Makc

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”