Just put these skid plates on my pathfinder

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

jerry6

Just put these skid plates on my pathfinder

Postby jerry6 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:49 pm

easy install , took 1hour and a half , fit really well . The are light as well , compared to steel , a bit pricey , but well worth it ! Acces to oil filter , but could be a bit messy when changing oil . Looks like they will do a good job protecting gas tank , oil pan and transfer case
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=5365

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:19 pm

nice!
wish i could afford them

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: Just put these skid plates on my pathfinder

Postby NVSteve » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:37 am

jerry6 wrote:easy install , took 1hour and a half , fit really well . The are light as well , compared to steel , a bit pricey , but well worth it ! Acces to oil filter , but could be a bit messy when changing oil . Looks like they will do a good job protecting gas tank , oil pan and transfer case
https://www.4x4parts.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=5365
You aren't going to get away that easy. We need some photos & any other misc. comments you might have. These things are on my "to buy" list, so I'm really interested (along with a few others on this forum) to hear more from an actual owner.

How sturdy do the mounting brackets seem? Did you try throwing a bunch of weight on the skids before the install to see how sturdy they are? When you say that it "could be a bit messy when changing oil," could you provide a photo to clue is in on what you mean? How well do these fit-do they pretty much line up with everything? What are your thoughts concerning the air scoop on the front skid?

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:20 pm

they fit perfectly , a bit of oil might rest on the pan after taking out the filter , very sturdy , no problems , no mods needed to mount , . they have a bit of flex when stressed , but not much . They cover everything very well . look at the pics at the site i bought them at . The air scoop/vents are a good idea , nothing has over heated yet .
I will take pics when II have the winter tires changed , in 2 weeks

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:41 pm

jerry6 wrote:they fit perfectly , a bit of oil might rest on the pan after taking out the filter , very sturdy , no problems , no mods needed to mount , . they have a bit of flex when stressed , but not much . They cover everything very well . look at the pics at the site i bought them at . The air scoop/vents are a good idea , nothing has over heated yet .
I will take pics when II have the winter tires changed , in 2 weeks
do they recommend isolating the aluminum from the steel frame of the truck to prevent disimilar metal issues?

Some rubber washers would most likely do the trick....

t

08OR

Postby 08OR » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:42 pm

How much do they weigh, in total, mas o menos?

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:08 pm

total weight is 60 lbs , and no thei did not mention dissimilar metals , should I get some washers and put them at mounting points ?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:51 am

jerry6 wrote:total weight is 60 lbs , and no thei did not mention dissimilar metals , should I get some washers and put them at mounting points ?
Check out these links:

www.finishing.com/271/67.shtml

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:25 am

I think the worry about galvanic corrosion is a bit overkill...where are you living/driving?...What series of aluminum is it...is it anodized?...If you live on the ocean (seawater), it could be an issue. Saltwater/seawater is a good electrolyte for the process to occur...

I would use nylon washers though, if you are going to lose sleep over it...check this link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-washers/=16ouf5

Remember you have to isolate the fasteners as well, otherwise its all for nothing...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:06 pm

socal4x wrote:I think the worry about galvanic corrosion is a bit overkill...where are you living/driving?...What series of aluminum is it...is it anodized?...If you live on the ocean (seawater), it could be an issue. Saltwater/seawater is a good electrolyte for the process to occur...

I would use nylon washers though, if you are going to lose sleep over it...check this link:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nylon-washers/=16ouf5

Remember you have to isolate the fasteners as well, otherwise its all for nothing...
I say better safe than sorry. I work in the bus manufacturing industry, and you should see what mag chloride and calcium chloride do to aluminun and stainless steel parts. And heaven forbid we don't use isolators or they are forgotten in production...

I live in winnipeg, we use calcium chloride in winter.

mcm4090

Postby mcm4090 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:46 pm

Got any pic's?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:51 pm

No rear diff protection?

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”