elevated engine temp while towing

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

elevated engine temp while towing

Postby disallow » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Hey there,

I have the superchips tuner for my 05 pathfinder, and got my first chance to try it out while towing today. I noticed that the engine runs a full 10F hotter while towing than when in normal non-towing operation.

Also proves that the factory temp gauge is just a dummy gauge, it never moved any higher even thought the temp at some points exceeded 200F.

Anyone else seen this? Should I be concerned? I am towing within the limits of 6000lbs and 600lbs tongue weight.

t

dbetterred

higher temps

Postby dbetterred » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 am

Anytime you are stressing the motor more than normal is will build a little more heat. As long as it stays well into the normal zone you are fine. My temp gauge climbs a little when I pull my boat (about 4500 lbs).

I can also get the temp to climb a little when driving hard. :wink:

Another possibility is the location of the sending units. The Superchip may be using a different location for it's temperature information.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 pm

It's normal for the temperatures to be a bit higher when towing. This has been true with every tow vehicle I've owned, although like you said, its had to tell what's going on when the temp gauge on the PF doesn't move.

There was a thread last year about cooling with some discussion about the temps and the two cooling fans. I can tell you that my electric fan clicked on high mode(it's a two speed fan) which indicates it was up to 221 degrees. It was idling at the time in 115+ degree weather with the AC on. I've never heard the mechanical fan engage. There are some other peoples experiences on that thread if I remember including someone towing a similarly big trailer to yours through Utah.

BTW, how do you like that tuner?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:07 pm

08Datsun wrote:It's normal for the temperatures to be a bit higher when towing. This has been true with every tow vehicle I've owned, although like you said, its had to tell what's going on when the temp gauge on the PF doesn't move.

There was a thread last year about cooling with some discussion about the temps and the two cooling fans. I can tell you that my electric fan clicked on high mode(it's a two speed fan) which indicates it was up to 221 degrees. It was idling at the time in 115+ degree weather with the AC on. I've never heard the mechanical fan engage. There are some other peoples experiences on that thread if I remember including someone towing a similarly big trailer to yours through Utah.

BTW, how do you like that tuner?
I guess the thing that has me worried is that about november last year i noticed i wasn't getting any rear heat. The reason was that I was about 1/2 gallon low on coolant. I haven't checked my truck since I towed this weekend, wondering if the elevated engine temp may be causing some coolant to evaporate. I did have Nissan do a pressure test on the cooling system a few months back , and they didn't find any issues.

What I don't want to have happen is find out I have a failure somewhere causing the temp to go up. Normally the temp is 180-185F. When towing it went from 185 - 208F. And it was only 40F, so no a/c or high ambient temps to combat. I guess there would be additional load from the trannie cooler though.

The Superchips Tuner is cool, I think it makes a difference, although its really hard to tell without a dyno. The XS Mileage save mode makes a very slight difference in overall fuel economy. I have switched it over to Performance mode all the time now.

I think a cooling system flush is in order. Will probably replace with Honda premix, as has been recommended on several posts here and elsewhere.

t

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”