Cracked windshield, How??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

KEVSTER

Cracked windshield, How??

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Only 8,000 miles on my 08 Pathy, drove to store, came home, left Pathy outside in 60 degree temps, went out after 2.5 hrs, and a 20 inch crack on windshield,driver side, starts in the black outer area and goes up to middle of driver view. Called glass Company, was told can be a stress crack from a small chip, so I looked and there is a small chip on glass where crack starts. Damn I am pissed, no use trying to do a warranty claim from Nissan this would be a fight, I have a 120.00 deductible on Insurance. Anyone ever hear of this happening? to any vehicle. For all I know it could have happened when I shut the door, and or the 60 Deg. Temp contributed, yes the windows were rolled up.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:58 pm

I would disagree, go talk to the dealer, should be obvious from the shape of the crack that it didn't start from a rock and therefore is warrantable.

odermann

Postby odermann » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:39 pm

I lose a windshield every winter to a stone chip that turns into a crack... in each of my vehicles. I only have a $50 deductable though. :wink:

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:12 am

Does your deductible apply to glass coverage? Mine doesn't. Windshield replacements are no additional cost. I would check with your insurance company.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:35 pm

my deduct applies to the glass. I get windshield replaced saturday, Hope they do a great job, because i am going to look it over with a fine tooth comb. inside and out.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:28 am

I guess no deductable for glass is an AZ thing. With the amount of rock used for landscaping around here, rock chips and cracked windshields are very common.

To respond to your first post, yes, small rock chips can run out. It's happend to me before. If they are pretty small it usually is not a problem. You can get them filled with resin to help prevent the crack from running. Most places here charge about $25 - $45 to fill a chip depending on the size. I bought a kit at wal-mart for $10 and I do them myself. The nice part is once the resin fills the chip, it's almost invisible.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:47 pm

This was a small chip, not a bullseye type, so the Novus fix would never work, not to mention it was a hard chip to see.

ralphwiggums

Postby ralphwiggums » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:42 pm

i just went through the same thing. got smacked by a big rock last October, changed out the glass in late december before I changed insurance co. I specified I wanted Pilkington glass and the friggin installer from Safelite put in SGC brand (their internal brand). What a POS windshield - distortion, not clear, etc. I was meaning to return to them to complain and get it changed when...guess what! got hit by a rock on the side pillar.

that little rock immediately cracked across the windshield and it wasn't a hard hit. any better brand (PPG, Pilkington, etc) would have absorbed it, but this POS windshield cracked right away. In the 4 months I've had it in, I've had 2 cracks from being hit on the side pillar and one big ding (which Speedy Auto Glass fixed). I went back and talked to Safelite and their main installer came out and looked at the truck - his explanation for the cracks was that it was cold out, I had the defrost on, and the rock hit right on the pillar portion where there's no 'give/flex'. With the cracks in the windshield, I really couldn't demand a new windshield, but I guarantee I will NEVER go to Safelite and NEVER get this POS Chinese brand glass again.

I'm going to wait another month and bite the bullet and get Speedy to put in PPG.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:54 pm

it could be faulty glass had a mercedes c class leased it new and about a week and half later i pulled into a gas station came back out and the rear window fell in. They fixed it at no cost push nissan to fix it

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:54 pm

glass shop looked at my windshield and said stress crack from that small chip, seems it happens alot if the chip is closest to the outer part of the windshield.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat May 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Windshield is in and looks great, However the wiper cowl is somewhat rubbing on the driver wiper arm spring, the tension spring on the wiper arm underneath rubs on the cowl, so when wiper is in motion it hits/ rubs the cowl, tried pushing down on cowl and it fits snug against glass, I guess the cowl clips should have been replaced with new ones, seems anytime something is taken off with clips the clips do not hold tight. I will go to Dealer and look at a new Pathy on the lot to see if wiper spring rubs cowl? , than order new cowl clips.

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Wed May 13, 2009 9:21 am

:( I learned that leasson the hard way. :cry:
6 months after buying my Altima the windshield cracked so I took it to the dealership to fix it and got the same answer. I went to a glass company and they told me it was common due to stress + temp change + a small rock. So I decided to change it since my deductable was $200 and the windshield costed less I bought without insurance. And problem fixed right? :)
No :x 4 months later it happened again, except this time I decided to leave it until is huge and I don't pass inspection. :D

I tried asking several places and they all say the same.

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:09 pm

I can tell you that i had the same problem....I was driving to go snowboarding in Alaska only 2 months after buying my path and a passing vehicle kicked up a stone not very big but enough to create a small chip in my windshield. After Snowboarding my buddy and I went back to my ride and i started it to warm it up and turned on the defrost to.... defrost my windshield and my buddy was like, " I wouldn't do that if i were you!" I asked what he meant by that and he told me that the warm air would cause the crack to spread bigger. So i turned my heat onto the vents to hopefully prevent the crack from getting worse. As we were driving home i literally watched the crack go from the drivers side bottom of the windshield to the passenger side bottom. I was amazed to have watched the crack for the entire trip home, which was about an hour, travel the entire length of the windshield. I have still yet to replace it.... here in Mass the windshield can be replace for free, i am just lazy. Alaska is known for sand/rocks on the roadways since they do not use salt due to the extreme cold temps, also they use studded tires so every once in awhile you might get a rouge stud flying off a tire from the car in front of you.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”