vibration at 50MPH

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

vibration at 50MPH

Postby disallow » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi there,

So I have the vibration at 50MPH (80KPH). Pretty certain its a u-joint in one of the driveshafts.

Question: To determine whether its the front or rear shaft, can I remove the front shaft and do a test drive to determine if the vibration is still there?

Its not gonna fall apart on me with no driveshaft in there, will it? ie the flanges aren't held in place by the pressure the driveshaft exerts on them?

t

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:49 pm

just put your hands on it, it'll be obvious. The joints are avail. seperatly. No need to replace the whole shaft. Don't spin the bolt heads on the shaft or you'll wanna kill yourself later. They'll either be super loose, or scary tight.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 am

Tech wrote:just put your hands on it, it'll be obvious. The joints are avail. seperatly. No need to replace the whole shaft. Don't spin the bolt heads on the shaft or you'll wanna kill yourself later. They'll either be super loose, or scary tight.
If the joint is loose, then it would be obvious. However I suspect mine is seized. It only starts to exhibit once the truck has been running for 5 or 10 minutes.

I found the x-ref for the spicer # on the u-joints for the pathy (and every other truck using spicer driveshafts) by the way...

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 pm

disallow wrote:
Tech wrote:just put your hands on it, it'll be obvious. The joints are avail. seperatly. No need to replace the whole shaft. Don't spin the bolt heads on the shaft or you'll wanna kill yourself later. They'll either be super loose, or scary tight.
If the joint is loose, then it would be obvious. However I suspect mine is seized. It only starts to exhibit once the truck has been running for 5 or 10 minutes.

I found the x-ref for the spicer # on the u-joints for the pathy (and every other truck using spicer driveshafts) by the way...

http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx

t
it was the rear u-joint on the rear propeller shaft. Seized totally. Not bad, guy down the road from me will do it in an hour, $25 in parts.

t

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:49 pm

did the vibration get better or worse at all at faster speeds?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:59 pm

xd9-g19 wrote:did the vibration get better or worse at all at faster speeds?
worse, but would disappear entirely at certain speeds. Got really bad when slowing down, especially with the brakes on.

In 4wd it was less pronounced.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”