P1283 and Air Fuel Sensors

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jrculber

P1283 and Air Fuel Sensors

Postby jrculber » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:12 pm

About 3-4 weeks ago, I had a check engine light with a P1283 code indicating a bad air fuel sensor. I took it to the dealership and had it replaced, to the tune of $450 dollars.

Today, driving around, the check engine light came on. I took it to AutoZone and the code was a P1283 again, but a different sensor in the same bank.

Any thoughts on this, I find it hard to believe that two sensors went bad within the span of 1 month, but then, I don't know too much about cars either.

If it is bad, I am replacing it myself this time.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, I appreciate it.

2005 V6

Regards,
JRCulber

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Re: P1283 and Air Fuel Sensors

Postby NVSteve » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:44 pm

jrculber wrote: Any thoughts on this, I find it hard to believe that two sensors went bad within the span of 1 month, but then, I don't know too much about cars either.

I can't really help, but I can say that I had two items go bad on me at the same time: the fuel sending unit (code P0463) and the evap canister vent control valve (code P0448). Just about $900 worth of parts and labor. No idea why there was a domino effect.

jrculber

Postby jrculber » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks Steve, I guess my main concern is that the dealership/mechanic is just going to keep replacing Air/Fuel Sensors at $450 a pop, but that the problem is elsewhere, like the ECU or Catalytic converter.

Thanks for replying, we'll see if anyone else has some experience...

/JRC

disallow
Site Admin

Re: P1283 and Air Fuel Sensors

Postby disallow » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:57 am

jrculber wrote:About 3-4 weeks ago, I had a check engine light with a P1283 code indicating a bad air fuel sensor. I took it to the dealership and had it replaced, to the tune of $450 dollars.

Today, driving around, the check engine light came on. I took it to AutoZone and the code was a P1283 again, but a different sensor in the same bank.

Any thoughts on this, I find it hard to believe that two sensors went bad within the span of 1 month, but then, I don't know too much about cars either.

If it is bad, I am replacing it myself this time.

2005 V6

Regards,
JRCulber
Are the plugs on the same harness? Maybe backtrack and check if the harness wiring lost continuity somewhere.

My sisters 99 civic had issues with the O2 sensor, I bought one, an was about to replace when I realized it was the connector that was the problem.

jrculber

Postby jrculber » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:54 pm

They may be, I am not sure. I am trying to find a Haynes / Chilton manual for this Year/Model to help me locate the sensors, as I am not sure how hard they are to get too. I haven't been able to find one though.

Anyway, I think they are in different banks, so I don't know if they use the same harness, but your question is the same as mine, is this problem related to another fault piece of equipment.

Once I can find a good manual, and get a look, I will let you know.

Thanks,
jrculber

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:42 am

jrculber wrote: Once I can find a good manual, and get a look, I will let you know.
The last time I thought to locate a manual, such as Chilton, was last year. No luck whatsoever. Maybe someone has one by now. Anyway, have you downloaded the service manual available here? That thing has been quite handy for me at times.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”