aftermarket trans coolers?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kramer

aftermarket trans coolers?

Postby kramer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:37 pm

Does anyone have an external transmission cooler installed on an '05+?

The reason Im asking is that I've now read several reports of the stock trans cooler located in the engine radiator cracking open and allowing coolant to go into the transmission effectively ruining it. I'd like to avoid this potential headache altogether and just slap in an external cooler of some kind. Wondering if there are kits out there that people are familiar with? Or is this totally unnecessary??

Im picking up my new-to-me '05 tomorrow and wouldn't wanna be faced with potential $4000 repair bills any time in the future.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:54 pm

As far as I can tell, all 05+ Pathfinders have both the standard in tank cooler in the radiator as well as an external auxiliary cooler in front of the A/C condenser.

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Okay the idea is to get rid of the cooler in the rad.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:08 pm

I have owned a 2006 Pathfinder since new and have enjoyed following this forum since. I have not heard that this is an issue to be concerned with.

Where is your information from? Is this something we should be thinking of?

NVRDONE

Postby NVRDONE » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:29 pm

I have an 06 LE & have had no problems. I also have access to Nissan's TSB's & there is no indication of any problems

skywhr

Postby skywhr » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:30 pm

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-A-Lite/400/3 ... /-1?CT=999 18000GVW
Recommended for medium / full size cars and light trucks with occasional light towing. 16,000-18,000 GVW

http://www.jegs.com/i/Perma-Cool/771/1013/10002/-1 20000GVW
Recommended for full size cars and trucks with regular towing and motor homes up to 28'. 18,000-20,000 GVW.

Most every kit I can find is a universal fit...

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 pm

bbermann wrote:I have owned a 2006 Pathfinder since new and have enjoyed following this forum since. I have not heard that this is an issue to be concerned with.

Where is your information from? Is this something we should be thinking of?
I'd have to try to dig up the information again... I stumbled upon a few cases while researching the reliability of Pathfinders prior to going out and buying one.

Maybe its a 1 in a million chance and it really isn't a common issue at all, but the low cost of installing an external cooler seems like it would be a decent preventative measure.

This is my first used out-of-warranty vehicle in ages, maybe Im just paranoid.

08Datsun

Postby 08Datsun » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:51 pm

I've run across a couple of the posts you are talking about in the past. There was a transmission guy on here a month or two ago talking about it. It seems to be a 2005 only problem from what I remember.

My above post was simply to inform you that you should already have an external cooler. I know some of the tranny lines have rubber hose between them, so it may be a simple task of re-arranging some of the lines.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: aftermarket trans coolers?

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:56 pm

kramer wrote:Does anyone have an external transmission cooler installed on an '05+?

The reason Im asking is that I've now read several reports of the stock trans cooler located in the engine radiator cracking open and allowing coolant to go into the transmission effectively ruining it. I'd like to avoid this potential headache altogether and just slap in an external cooler of some kind. Wondering if there are kits out there that people are familiar with? Or is this totally unnecessary??

Im picking up my new-to-me '05 tomorrow and wouldn't wanna be faced with potential $4000 repair bills any time in the future.
I had the same concern after a post on this forum a while ago.

Had a look under the hood... I think I already have an external cooler installed. See attached pic... not sure what else this could be. I bought the truck this way.

Is this a transmission cooler? I tried to follow the lines attached to it, but couldn't see where they were coming from or going to. This is taken straight down and to the passenger side of the front of the engine bay.

I think this is an engine oil cooler... anyone confirm that? This is taken straight down and to the driverside of the front of the engine bay.

Thoughts?

t

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Did the searching and found this thread again:
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfind ... issue.html

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:19 pm

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:57 am

kramer wrote:Did the searching and found this thread again:
http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfind ... issue.html
So a symptom of the failure is coolant low but no visible leak?

Scary, I had this last year... posted here:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

and

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Was planning to change the transmission fluid this week anyways (on vacation), guess thats my job tonight, see if I have a strawberry milkshake going on... :(

t

kramer

Postby kramer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Im picking up my Pathfinder tomorrow and its going straight to the garage for an oil change, Im gonna have the trans oil changed and checked out as well. If it appears that its been in contact with coolant I'll have a full flush done and either have the rad replaced or an aftermarket cooler installed in order to bypass the existing one.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:00 pm

kramer wrote:Im picking up my Pathfinder tomorrow and its going straight to the garage for an oil change, Im gonna have the trans oil changed and checked out as well. If it appears that its been in contact with coolant I'll have a full flush done and either have the rad replaced or an aftermarket cooler installed in order to bypass the existing one.
OK I want to get this straight. I couldn't find any info in the service manual on this.

Does the Path have an Oil/Water cooler (in the rad) AND and Oil/Air cooler in front of the rad?

If so, why both?

Someone in the know please clarify.

t

kramer

Postby kramer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:23 pm

I've stumbled across numerous posts that state it does indeed have multiple coolers.. but that makes no difference. The fact is that there's a transmission oil cooler built into the rad, and something can happen where coolant will find its way into your transmission.

I'll post up details after I've gone over it in my own truck.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”