Grinding sound in 4hi

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Chatham

Grinding sound in 4hi

Postby Chatham » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:20 am

We've been getting a ton of snow up here in Buffalo, NY. So needless to say, I've been driving pretty regularly in 4hi. The trucks been handling great! ...But when I first get moving, I'll get some minimal wheel spin and I'll hear a grinding sound coming from the front end. This doesn't sound right to me. At first I thought it might be the tires rubbing against ice/snow build up on the mud flaps, but I knocked that off and I still hear it. Any thoughts? Does anyone else hear this?

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:19 am

Do you have VDC on or off?

If you are in a slide w/ it on, it might be modulating the ABS. If it is off, shouldn't be a problem.

We've been getting some snow here too. When on snow in 4wd if I hit the gas w/ VDC on it just does it's thing and you take right off. W/ it turned off, it will spin (not under normal acceleration, but if I'm playing around and really hit it).

I was amazed at how well VDC works. W/ it off in 2wd doughnuts are a snap, hitting the button to turn it on makes the ABS go crazy w/ noise, but the truck straightens right back up.

Chatham

Postby Chatham » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:18 am

I hear this sound when the VDC is on, and it's only in the front. I've tried it when the VCD is off, and I still hear it make that grinding sound.

Yes, donuts are fun! My wife doesn't like them, however!

bender031

Postby bender031 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:34 am

what you may be hearing is the ABLS, (antilock break limited slip) this will kick in (and the slip light will flash) when it senses wheel spin. ABLS is still active with VDC off, it sounds like a electronic grinding, and is basically the same sound as the ABS you would hear if you stopped quick.
could this be the noise you speak of? if so it is normal.

Chatham

Postby Chatham » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:10 am

That sounds like what it could possibly be. I'll evaluate at lunch in the back parking lot (still covered with lots of snow). It definitely sounds like something that would be "electronic grinding". It also usually last for about the same amount of time too.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:16 am

Yeah, it's the VDC/ABLS system. The actuator is under the hood on the firewall on the driver's side, so it's extremely audible when it activates.

amr40509

Postby amr40509 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:11 pm

Chatham wrote: Yes, donuts are fun! My wife doesn't like them, however!
Last week my cul-de-sac (my house is right at the back -- very wide area) was covered w/ snow all week. It was my normal routine to slide 180 degrees after backing out of the driveway, and on the way back home I was doing one doughnut before pulling into the garage each night. After about 3 days of me doing this alone the wife was finally in the truck with me, I backed out, tapped the gas in 2wd (only about 3" of snow, and the main roads cleared, just my side street still white) and whipped the truck around like I had been doing all week...the wife freaked out thinking I was going to kill us both. haha. Then when we got home a few hours later, I again wasn't really thinking about it, and threw the rear end all the way around once before I pulled into the driveway.... I'm amazed she didn't wet herself.

blink32
Sponsored Member

Postby blink32 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:47 pm

I just had this kick in tonight. Scared the crap out of me as I thought I had broken a suspension component or something since it was so loud and I could feel it through the pedal.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”